Golf benefit just in time for Father's Day

Gregg Newschwander, Dean of the School of Nursing, will host the second annual Dean's Golf Outing on Friday, June 15 at the Moore's Mill Golf Club.

This event will benefit the School of Nursing's new Master's program at Auburn University and Auburn University at Montgomery.

The outing will help combat the shortage of nurses and nurse educators.

The proceeds from the outing will raise funds for the program and go toward additional faculty support and items that are needed for the program.

"Nursing shorages are comproming the health of U.S. citizens, and the reality of a declining nursing workforce in the very near future must be addressed," said Shelley Grider, Development Officer at Auburn.

According to Stephanie Woods, Development Coordinator for the School of Nursing, Newschwander hopes the participants will get to know the Dean better and become more familiar with his vision for the nursing school.

Woods said since his appointment in 2009, Newschwander has worked on his mission of reducing the shortage of nurses.

The Master's program has two options: Students may choose a degree as a nurse educator or as a primary care nurse practitioner.

"In August 2012, both schools began twice yearly admission to increase the number of students admitted to the undergraduate programs, which will increase the number of BSN nurses graduated and ready to be a part of this needed workforce," Grider said.

In May 2012, the first class of nurse practitioners graduated.

The number of pre-nursing students largely outnumbers actual nursing students, with 460 pre-nursing students and 155 students in the nursing program at the end of spring 2012.

There are only 56 graduate students in the nursing program.

The School of Nursing has recently started accepting students into the program twice a year.

The nursing program is unique in that both Auburn University and Auburn University at Montgomery are combined to form a joint program, and the dean presides over both institutions.

The outing will begin at 7 a.m. The shotgun start will begin at 8 a.m., but the driving range and putting green will be open before for participants to practice their game.

A break for lunch will be at 12:30 p.m., and the awards presentation will begin at 1 p.m.

Coca-Cola and Premium Beverages have donated to the outing, as well as groceries such as Kroger and Winn Dixie. According to Woods, these companies see a need to support the nursing program and increase the number of nurses available.

The School of Nursing holds two fundraisers each year, the Dean's Golf Outing, and the Blue Jean Ball, which is hosted by Pat Dye and is held at his ranch, Crooked Oaks.

Last year's event was named "Mulligans for Masters," according to Grider.

"It was successful last year with 64 players and net proceeds generated for the MSN," Grider said.

Share and discuss “Golf benefit just in time for Father's Day” on social media.