A week of Auburn sports

Jason Dufner was poised for a top five finish in the Wyndham Championship until the rain came. (Courtesy of Todd Van Emst)

Men’s Basketball- Coach Tony Barbee hired University of Missouri assistant Ryan Miller to be an associate coach at Auburn. Miller was recently hired by Missouri and spent only two months in Columbia. Miller, a Northern State University graduate in Aberdeen, S.D., is the younger brother of Miami Heat guard Mike Miller.

-Former forward Kenny Gabriel played with the Sacramento Kings in the 2012 NBA Summer league in Las Vegas, July 13-22. In five games, Gabriel only saw action on the court once. He played 15 minutes, and scored eight points with one block. He dressed for all games with exception for the final game where he was scratched as DNP.

Football- Former linebacker and graduate assistant Travis Williams is entering his first season as a position coach at the University of Northern Iowa. Williams was previously living in Atlanta working as a recording artist and producer in 2011. He played for Auburn from 2001 as a redshirt until 2005. He spent one year in the NFL with the Falcons.

-Senior running back Onterio McCalebb was named to the 2012 Doak Walker watch list. The award is presented to collegiate football’s top running back and is given by the PwC SMU Athletic Forum. The Forum’s Board of Directors will announce the finalists on Nov. 19. Highlighting the list is 2011 finalist Monte Ball from the University of Wisconsin.

-Fan Day, put on by Golden Flake, will take place Sunday, August 12, from 2-4 p.m. at the Auburn Arena. Admission is free. The event gives fans the opportunity to interact with players and coaches. Along with coach Gene Chizik and select players, cheerleaders, Tiger Paws, the soccer and volleyball teams will be available for autographs. Aubie will also be available for pictures. Each fan may only bring one item to be autographed, and items are not restricted as long as they can be carried by one person without holding up the line. Doors will open at approximately 1:30 p.m. Posters and schedule cards will be provided at no charge.

-At the SEC Media Days from July 17-19, the Tigers were picked to finish fourth in the Western Division, receiving six of 222 first-place votes. Louisiana State University was picked to win the division while Georgia was selected to win the East. The media voted senior tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen to the preseason first-team offense while junior defensive end Corey Lemonier was named to the first-team defense. Sophomore center Reese Dismukes, junior punter Steven Clark and senior running back Onterio McCalebb made the second team. McCalebb was added as a kick returner. Junior defensive end Nosa Eguae, senior wide receiver Emory Blake, senior cornerback T’Sharvan Bell and junior kicker Cody Parkey were named to the third team.

-Four-star running back Jordan Wilkins verbally committed to Auburn last Wednesday. Wilkins is entering his senior season at St. Benedict’s in Cordova, Tenn. Wilkins is set to join the Tigers in 2013 and brings their list of verbal commits to 17.

-Wireless Internet access will be available upon purchase for the 2012 season in Jordan Hare Stadium. Fees are set at $7.95 for 24 hours, $9.95 for 48 hours, $11.95 for 72 hours and $17.95 for a month. Tablets and laptops will be allowed upon entry. Auburn joins Mississippi State and South Carolina as the only SEC schools that allow Internet access either at a cost or free of charge.

Men’s Golf- Former golfer Jason Dufner finished tied for 31st place at three-over at the Open Championship at Royal Lytham and St. Anne’s July 19-22.

-Senior Dominic Bozzelli captured his second consecutive New York State Amateur Tournament Championship last Thursday at the Elmira Country Club in Elmira, N.Y. Bozzelli held a one stroke lead heading into the final round, but surged on the back nine after an eagle and three birdies to defeat Jamie Sindelar by five strokes.

-Senior Michael Hebert finished in third place at the Players Amateur at the Berkeley Hall Club in Bluffton, S.C. The Orlando, Fla., native finished eight strokes behind Daniel Nisbet. The finish marks his second top-three finish this summer in prestigious amateur events.

-Former Auburn golfer Will Claxton finished tied for fifth at the PGA Tour’s True South Classic at the Annandale Golf Club in Madison, Miss. Claxton finished at 18-under.

Women’s Basketball- The Auburn women’s basketball team concluded its first week of preparation for next month’s trip to Australia last week. The team will now take a weeklong break before resuming practice on July 31.

Equestrian- Former Auburn rider Anna Schierholz will join the Kansas State equestrian coaching staff as an assistant coach for the 2012-13 season, announced KSU head coach Kasie Lisabeth.

Gymnastics- Incoming freshman gymnast Kait Kluz was named the top senior gymnast in the state of Michigan by USA Gymnastics on Tuesday, July 17. The award is given annually to the top senior gymnast from the state of Michigan by the USAG.

Share and discuss “A week of Auburn sports” on social media.