A week in Auburn sports

The women's swimming and diving team defeated Notre Dame 166-132 Friday Nov. 26 to advance to 3-0 on the season. (Rebecca Croomes / PHOTO EDITOR)

Swimming and Diving- The women’s swimming and diving team remain undefeated through its third dual-action meet, defeating Notre Dame 166–132 Friday, Nov. 26. The Tigers took first place in eight races, with seniors Katie Gardocki and Hannah Riordan leading the way.
Gardocki posted the third-best time in the nation with her 1,000-yard freestyle winning time of 9:45.42 and out-touched the competition by more than 13 seconds in the 500 free.
Riordan became just the fifth swimmer this year to break the 23-second mark in the 50 free, finishing in 22.98. She collected her second win of the meet as anchor in the 400 medley relay alongside the team of Jillian Vitarius, Micah Lawrence and Olivia Scott.
Sophomore divers Cinzia Calabretta and Shanna Schuelein both earned runner-up honors in the 3-meter and 1-meter events respectively.
Volleyball- Auburn earned a pair of sweeps this weekend, marking the team’s first back-to-back SEC road victories since 2010. The Tigers defeated South Carolina 25-21, 25-15, 25-19 Friday night before traveling to Ole Miss where it held out for a 25-16, 25-19, 25-19 sweep.
Sarah Bullock and Katherine Culwell posted double-doubles for the fourth straight match.
The Tigers boasted its highest hitting percentage in an SEC match in 14 years with a .474 against South Carolina, the fifth best by an SEC team this season. Auburn hit .325 in Sunday’s match to give the team its second consecutive plus-.300 performance.
Women’s golf- The No. 8–ranked Auburn women’s golf team took home 12th place at the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational Oct. 28-30 after a 18–over 306 on its final round Monday, Oct. 30.
Senior Carlie Yadloczky shot a 1-under 71 on the final day of play and tied for 11th individually with a 1-over 217 for the tournament.
Junior Marta Sanz shot a 7-over 79 on the final round to finish at 5-over 221 for the tournament.
Sophomore Victoria Trapani finished in a tie for 37th, junior Diana Fernandez finished at 74th and sophomore Nicole Quinn came home with a 75th place finish.
Freshman Jamie Yun rounded out the tournament with a 78th place finish.
The fall golf season is over for the Tigers, but they will return to competitive play Feb. 10-12 at the Puerto Rico Invitational at the River Course at Rio Mar in San Juan, Puerto Rico to kick off the spring season.
Cross Country- The Auburn men and women’s cross country teams traveled to Nashville for the 2012 SEC Cross Country Championships hosted by Vanderbilt University at Percy Warner Park on Friday. The men’s squad took home eighth, while the women finished 14th.
Sophomore Niklas Buhner clocked a personal record with a 24:41.66 time in the men’s 8k race. He was Auburn’s top finisher on the event and placed 26th overall.
Junior Samuel Mueller took the 37th spot, crossing the finish line in 25:02.69, and sophomore Griffin Jaworski set a personal record with his 40th place time of 25:11.30.
Sophomores Francis Hernandez and Kane Grimster rounded out the Auburn scorers with 65th and 69th finishes respectively.
The Tigers finished the meet with 237 points to place eighth overall.
On the women’s side, redshirt junior Alissa Fisher led the Auburn runners with a 31st overall finish, crossing the finish line in 21:32.78 in the 6k run.
Junior Erin Fondren and freshmen Sage Blackwell and Kristin Sheehan each posted personal bests.
Danielle Lusk rounded out Auburn’s scorers with a 96th place finish.
Auburn will travel to Tallahassee, Fla., Nov. 9 to compete in the NCAA South Regional hosted by Florida State.

Share and discuss “A week in Auburn sports” on social media.