Auburn leads Alabama A&M 35-0 at halftime

(Emily Morris / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)
(Emily Morris / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

Auburn's offensive efficiency headlined the first half against Alabama A&M as the Tigers scored five touchdowns on five possessions and lead 35-0 with thirty minutes to play.
Running backs Tre Mason and Onterio McCalebb had running space nearly every time they touched the ball, and together had 17 carries for 222 yards and three touchdowns.
Mason scored on Auburn's first possession, his 19-yard scamper the culmination of a 10-play drive that covered 66 yards, all but nine of which were on the ground. McCalebb matched Mason with a 19-yarder of his own that made it 14-0 Auburn late in the first quarter. After another short A&M possession, the Tigers went up 21-0 on a 86-yard Mason run.
Scores from fullback Jay Prosch and receiver Sammie Coates in the second quarter extended Auburn's lead to 35-0.
A&M's defense seemed to have no answers for Auburn's offensive line and running game, and Auburn continued to pound away with handoffs and pitches to its two backs.
Freshman quarterback Jonathan Wallace went 7-for-12 passing for 127 yards and the TD, with the bulk of his yards (70) coming from DeAngelo Benton. With Wallace taking the snaps, Auburn went 4-of-4 on third downs and has not yet punted.
Defensively for Auburn, the side has looked strong, holding A&M to just 120 yards and no points in the first half. The Bulldogs were just 1-for-6 on third downs and never threatened the red zone. A spot that needs work in the second half is young cornerback Joshua Holsey who has been picked on a few times by A&M quarterback Deaunte Mason. Mason is 9-of-13 for 105 yards and dropped a pass on a trick play that was A&M's best chance at getting inside Auburn's 20.
Mason (nine carries for 165 yards) and McCalebb (eight for 57) will look to be featured even more in the second half.

Share and discuss “Auburn leads Alabama A&M 35-0 at halftime” on social media.