Her view: Skyfall sets the stage for a new era of Bond

In the glorious age of Internet hype, everyone's favorite spy is under more scrutiny as well as more excitement than ever.

During the four-year lull caused by the less than thrilling Quantum of Solace, fans might have wondered if there is anything to still expect in the Daniel Craig lead reboot of the famous series.

The newest installment, Skyfall, offers a taste of the classic Bond while giving form to the famous womanizer. In this film the audience finally gets a look at the hero's history as he takes on arguably one of the most eerie villains to fight 007.

All this being said, this film still doesn't meet the standards set by Craig's debut as Bond in Casino Royale.

As excited as I was to see Bond back in action, the film didn't deliver as much as I hoped. Of course Bond films will always be packed full of action, but this one seemed a bit light. The film seemed like more of a psychological attack, which is great in most movies, but leaves more to be desired in a Bond film. The action sequences that do exist are more like a collection of greatest moments from other movies.

While this film tries to focus on a more modern action with cyber terrorism, the action overall of this film falls flat. Between that and majority of the film being visually expressed in the opening sequence, Skyfall offers a lack of excitement.

Possibly one of the highest points of the film is the cast. Even the worst film can be made better by a great cast.

Craig always delivers as Bond but this time he is joined by a slew of strong actors including Naomi Harris (28 Days Later...) as fellow field agent Eve, Ben Whishaw (Cloud Atlas) as the new and younger Q, and Ralph Fiennes (former Lord Voldemort) as a surprising ally rather than his usual villain.

All of these performances are overshadowed by the over-the-top villain, Raoul Silva, played by Javier Bardem.

While the film is well-acted and provides a story unlike any other Bond film, only the subtle nods to the older films feel anything remotely Bond. Like the most recent Bourne movie, Skyfall doesn't feel connected to the rest of the series. Even adding backstory to Bond and M did not relate to the other movies, where the history behind the characters is often hidden.

Hopefully the further parts of the series will move past this lack luster addition and rely on the exposition to lead to more action packed films in the future. The Bond series has had a rough beginning in their reboot, but it can only go up from here.

Share and discuss “Her view: Skyfall sets the stage for a new era of Bond” on social media.