Lady Tigers trump AAMU Lady Bulldogs in the Arena

Alabama A&M took a 1-2 punch from Auburn over the weekend as the women's basketball team delivered a win against the Lady Bulldogs on Sunday following Saturday's victory on the football field.

Sunday's game resulted in a 49 point win over A&M that ended at 93-44, and followed the 37 point win on Thursday against Alabama State University.

They were the first home games of the season and followed a less successful weekend at the Wolf Pack Invitational in North Carolina.

Senior guard and forward, Blanche Alverson, said that a lot had been learned from the loss against NC State and that last week's practice gave the team the opportunity to improve.

"I think we came out and started out pretty slow on defense, but we picked it up towards the end and really wanted to cut down on how many points they scored in the second half. That was a big goal of ours. The defensive intensity was our goal today," said Alverson.

Defense has been consistently stressed by Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy since the beginning of the season and even with this weekend's series of wins it is still high on her list.

"There [are] always areas of improvement and I still think we got to work a little harder on closing our traps and letting people out of our traps. Moving ... our own ball, defense still needs a little bit of work, you know." Williams-Flournoy said.

"I thought they came out, and we shot the ball extremely well. What we wanted to do today was not just stand out there and launch 3's. We only took six 3's," she said in a post-game interview.

"Our percentage from the 3-point line was absolutely horrible, so we wanted to get in a little closer and attack the basket a little bit more, and I thought we did a better job today of executing our offense and getting the best shot. Not just the first shot, but getting the best shot which increases your percentage," Williams-Flournoy said.

She said that another factor between this week's wins and the invitational was the degree of competition NC State brought to court compared with ASU and A&M, she said.

Next on the Lady Tiger's schedule is San Diego State at the Omni Hotels Classic in Boulder, Colo. on Nov. 23 at 6 pm CT. Then the next day they will either play Colorado or Texas A&M Corpus Christi at 6 or 8:30 pm CT.

Share and discuss “Lady Tigers trump AAMU Lady Bulldogs in the Arena” on social media.