The luck of the Irish: history student receives abroad scholarship

Ireland may receive a new student as of September 2013.

Marian Royston, senior in history, was endorsed by Paul Harris, associate director for prestigious national scholarships, and applied for the Mitchell Scholarship, a one-year program that includes an almost all expense-paid study abroad trip for graduate studies.

"They pay for pretty much everything," Royston said. "They pay for your graduate school, living expenses and traveling expenses. You wouldn't be restricted because of your financial situation or anything like that."

Earning a master's degree in Europe takes about a year to complete, Royston said.

"I'd come back with a master's in community development," Royston said. "The program that I chose is called state of world development and project planning, which will be at Queen's University of Belfast. We were told to choose more than one choice so that they can choose the best possible place for you to go."

Harris recommended Royston for the scholarship.

"The criteria for the scholarships was academics, leadership and scholarship, and she exceeded all three," Harris said. "Those leadership positions have taken her off campus and she has been a giving member of the community. She even goes to Notasulga Middle and High School to tutor."

Royston qualified for the scholarship because of her grade point average, her record of community service and her leadership abilities.

"I am a resident assistant and am considered a senior RA this year, which is a promotion over regular RAs," Royston said. "This will be my third year as an RA."

Royston's community service extends farther than just Auburn's campus.

"My community work is not a conventional leadership position because there's no title attached to it, but the work I do is through my college's community and civic engagement initiative," Royston said. 'I also represent my department as the history representative for the College of Liberal Arts student diversities team."

Harris (said he) helped Royston through the five-month scholarship preparation as best he could.

"I helped her first identify the scholarship, and then I helped her with her essays," Harris said. "I helped her believe that she could do this. Since it's such a competitive essay, I helped her meet with her respected faculty members since she needed four letters of recommendations."

Traveling oversees is a totally new experience for Royston.

"I'm really excited to study something that I'm interested in, in a different context," Royston said. "There are similarities between Ireland and the United States, but there are also differences in the way we develop communities and how people combat their own problems. I'm really excited to learn how it's done in another setting and what ideas we can take away and share with one another."

Royston's last step before finding out the 12 Mitchell Scholars on Monday, Nov.19 is traveling to Washington D.C. for her final interview.

"There will be a cocktail reception in the Irish embassy with the people who will be evaluating the applicants in the final interview the next day," Royston said. "At the cocktail party, we will talk with the past Mitchell Scholars, followed by a dinner. The final interview is the next day and should only take about 15 minutes. After they finish interviewing everyone, they will calculate everything and evaluate everyone and name the scholars."

Harris (said he) has high hopes for Royston.

"I think she's the best there is, so I hope she wins it," Harris said. "It's pretty darn competitive."

Share and discuss “The luck of the Irish: history student receives abroad scholarship” on social media.