DePaul hands Auburn men's basketball fifth loss of season

Frankie Sullivan moves up the court to score two of his 28 points, his career high. (Rebecca Croomes / PHOTO EDITOR)

The men's basketball team lost to DePaul University with a close score of 80-76 Friday, Nov. 30 in the Auburn Arena.

The team so far has a 2-5 record and is now focusing on future progression and how to make a strong and successful come back.

"I think as frustrated as we all are as a group, players, coaches, as a team, as a family we're getting closer. We've just got to put it all together on the floor, " Head Coach Tony Barbee said.

The younger players suffered in this particular game, while the veterans showed up and came to play.

Barbee said, "We're getting closer, there's no question about it. This week was our best week of practice, we had more energy, we had more effort, we had guys more enthusiastic, and that's a skill and sometimes it's hard for young guys to understand that but it turned into a better performance for us because of that."

Although their performance as a team was less than desired, there were some stand out individual performances, according to Barbee.

"I though Rob Chubb played great tonight, 17 and 13. Those are great numbers for Rob."

Chubb, a senior center, was a heavy component on the team last season averaging 8.1 points per game.

In regard to the team and their record so far, Chubb said, "We have a lot of young guys, and they're starting to realize that it's a struggle. It doesn't come easy. It's not handed to you, and it's something you have to take. The thing is they're starting to get it. We're getting close. We're starting to come together as a team, and if we keep playing games like that we're playing as a team offensively, and we have a lot of chemistry. Once the defense is sound, we're going to be a heck of a team."

Barbee also commended the efforts of Frankie Sullivan, a senior guard.

"Frankie's got a great line, with 28 points, perfect from the line, five assists."

The veteran reached his career high during the DePaul game.

Even though Sullivan played what others thought as a good game, he wasn't pleased with the team's performance and the game in its entirety.

"It's frustrating," Sullivan said. "We did a lot of good things, but we have to find a way in these 40 minutes to win some ball games. It's come down to three games this season where the last four minutes, and the last second, cost us the game. We're just not making plays."

The team will push through the next week and a half and prepare for its next game versus Grambling St. on Tuesday, Dec. 11 in the Arena.

In the meantime, Barbee said the team will stay focused.

"Like I told my guys, this is a long season. Our veteran guys understand it, our young guys don't. So while we're on a five or six game win streak and their heads are in the clouds, you've got to bring them down. We've lost a few in a row now, but you've got to pick their heads up off the floor. That's part of youth and that's our job as veteran players and coaches to lead those guys and help them in that way."

Share and discuss “DePaul hands Auburn men's basketball fifth loss of season” on social media.