Different cultures united through sports tournament

With much success in 2012, the International Student Organization thrives by hosting the sports tournaments and other culturally diverse events.  (Courtesy of Subin Haba)
With much success in 2012, the International Student Organization thrives by hosting the sports tournaments and other culturally diverse events. (Courtesy of Subin Haba)

The International Student Organization aims to unite students of different cultures through a sports tournament. The event was previously scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 23 at the intramural fields but has been postponed due to weather.

Club president Subin Haba said that the tournament consists of eight teams, four groups and there are seven players on each team.

"It's just to have a better interaction between the different countries and it's just a friendly match; an outdoor activity," Haba said. "It's just basically for a good friendship."

There will be three awards given out after the tournament: Champions, Runner-Up and Man of the Cities. The first two are given to the best overall teams and the last award is given to the individual who played the best in the tournament.

The tournament is based on a knockout playoff system where the winner in each group will advance to the next round until there are two teams left.

Haba says that although registration has already passed, students wanting to join the tournament can join a team if anyone is injured or a team is short a player.

There are about 200 students at any given event said," Charus Campbell, Multicultural Programs Advisor.

The International Student Organization host events each semester and aims to unite students from various countries.

In the fall, the International Student Organization has a peace dinner and a world fair and has an indoor and outdoor sports tournament in the spring and an awards banquet in April.

"This is more of an academic recognition banquet for students with a good track record," Haba said.

The International Student Organization is looking to have its indoor tournament next month and basketball will be the sport played.

The organization's mission is to improve multinational understanding and promote relationships between people of different cultures and also helps to ease the adaption of international students.

Actively promoting diversity and beneficial interaction between the international students and American students is another big mission of the organization.

The organization also has social hours on Fridays from 4-5 p.m. and serves as a way for students to make new friends and interact with students from other counties and learn about their cultures.

"For social hour, international students feel comfortable coming here because we are all international students; it's like our activity, but I would like to see more interactions with Americans," said Ning Hou, International Student Organization vice president.

Hou said that she knows a lot of the international students and has learned a lot about different cultures from being a part of ISO and said that she enjoys that the organization gives a platform for all of the international students to get together and know each other.

The social hours on Fridays are considered to be the weekly meetings.

Share and discuss “Different cultures united through sports tournament” on social media.