Her view: Oscar predictions

(Rachel Suhs / DESIGN EDITOR)
(Rachel Suhs / DESIGN EDITOR)

This Sunday, the red carpet award season comes to a close with the pinnacle of all award shows: The Oscars.

Ever since the award show started nominating ten films instead of the normal five, viewers and critics have struggled to predict the top honors. The nine nominated films of this year provide the same challenges as always. Although other award shows such as the BAFTAs or Golden Globes offer some insight into what will or won't win any awards, there's no telling which film will take home the top prize. Still I'm doing my best to speculate which films will fare well at the end of this award season.

My Picks

Best Director: Steven Spielberg, "Lincoln"

Honestly, with Ben Affleck and Kathryn Bigelow out of the running for Best Director, I wasn't sure who I would pick for this category. Out of all the nominees, Spielberg is considered by many to be the front-runner. Given his history and the wide reception of "Lincoln," this puts him in a great spot for Best Director.

Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables"

I'd like to compare Anne Hathaway's performance to the other nominees, but I can't honestly remember who any of the other nominees are. Hathaway has dominated most of the award shows with her portrayal of Fantine in the successful movie musical.

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained"

If you look at Waltz's record, he wins far more often than not, and I doubt this Sunday will be any different. Many are considering others such as Robert De Niro or Tommy Lee Jones to be more likely picks, but I think Waltz's role under Quentin Tarantino will fare just as well as it did with "Inglorious Basterds" in 2010.

Best Actress: Jessica Chastain, "Zero Dark Thirty"

Maybe this pick is just wishful thinking, but I am still rooting for Jessica Chastain to take home the Oscar for Best Actress. Most critics expect Jennifer Lawrence to win for her performance in "Silver Lining Playbook," but I can't help but root for her to win for her portrayal of Maya in the controversial film.

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln"

There are certain actors who just attract awards and recognition, no matter what part they're playing. Daniel Day-Lewis is a prime example of that type of actor. There's still a glimmer of hope for Hugh Jackman or Bradley Cooper, but the odds are not in their favor.

Best Motion Picture: Argo

After taking home the Golden Globe for Best Dramatic Film and Best Film at the BAFTAs, "Argo" is a clear pick for Best Picture. However, despite its seven total nominations, there are still some speculations considering Ben Affleck's snub for Best Director. The other biggest contender is probably "Lincoln," with a small chance for "Les Miserables" or "Zero Dark Thirty."

Share and discuss “Her view: Oscar predictions” on social media.