Weekend recruiting review

It's all smiles after an eventful weekend in which Auburn had some of the top recruits in the nation officially visit campus leading up to National Signing Day on Wednesday, Feb. 6. Commits and Auburn Athletics recruiting alike are predicting a huge upcoming signing day for the Tigers.

Five-star weak side defensive end Carl Lawson effectively ended his recruitment Sunday, reassuring his long-standing commitment to Auburn via twitter after his visit.

Lawson said, "This will successfully end my recruitment I am an Auburn Tiger. No questions will be answered no calls will be accepted."

The No. 4 ranked player in the nation by Rivals.com, Lawson was rumored to be closely looking at Tennessee and Clemson after visiting them in recent weeks, but after his weekend visit to the Plains he reassured his commitment to the Tigers.

"Haven't felt this light on my feet in a while," said Lawson on Twitter. "The weight of the world is off my shoulders. WDE."

Lawson's father, Carl Sr., visited the school by himself in recent weeks, touring the classrooms and meeting academic staff as well as the new strength and conditioning coach Ryan Russell. The low-key and lack of media attention on Lawson's recruitment can be awarded to the guidance given by his father throughout the recruiting process.

Along with Lawson on the visit, five-star players Montravius Adams and Reuben Foster toured campus this weekend and their recruitment remains open. Both players are expected to commit on national signing day but where remains to be speculated.

Adams, the five-star defensive tackle from Vienna, Ga. narrowed down his final teams to Clemson, Auburn, Georgia and Alabama. The lure of the SEC has had great influence on Adams with Clemson being the only worthy competitor outside the conference. While Clemson is the team to beat Wednesday, a source inside Auburn recruiting told me to expect to see Adams announce with a stuffed tiger and that the chance to play in the SEC will bring him to the Plains. Whether that information pans out to be true on National Signing Day or not, expect Auburn to have a great chance at landing Adams.

For the past week many experts predicted Auburn High School's Foster landing at Auburn, but after his multiple absences from official visit events throughout this past weekend, his allegiance to the school seems to be faltering. Don't be surprised to see him sign elsewhere come Wednesday.

The Tigers picked up another commitment late Sunday as Lawson's Alpharetta, Ga. teammate three-star running back Peyton Barber flipped from Ole Miss to the Tigers. Barber's father commented that the decision was based entirely on family, friends and the overall feel of the university.

With the recruiting momentum Auburn has going into the final stretch, don't be surprised if the Tigers bring in top recruits such as Adams or defensive back Mackensie Alexander. Foster or not, Auburn will finish with a top-ten recruiting class, maybe higher. As Lawson said on Sunday, "AU is going to finish this class 10 times better than anyone will imagine. That's a promise."

Share and discuss “Weekend recruiting review” on social media.