What is your philosophy?

Philosophy is defined colloquially as one's lifestyle and outlook on life derived from a consideration of the traditional branches of philosophy: moral, metaphysical, and natural. As it were, it is the colloquial use that I would like to discuss. Whether you subscribe to a theological, mystical, or secular ideology, it most likely defines your everyday choices. It may make you who you are, or at the very least, mask your inherent 'philosophy' (and I use philosophy in quotations to indicate that I am speaking about the colloquial definition). Perhaps you use God as your foundation of philosophy, or subscribe to an idea of some mystical idea of positive and negative energy. Perhaps you only take in to consideration the empirical and the metaphysical. Have you ever actually examined your 'philosophy' closely? For what basis do you hold your beliefs? Are they constructed from rational thought or emotion? Or, are you lethargically partaking in them out of convenience? (An example would be remaining Christian out of a fear of a loss of friends and family, even though Christianity may not fit your philosophical subscription). Many avoid any kind of thinking that might lead them to an existential crisis, and then there are many who fully embrace it. Whether you currently hold onto an idea of divine providence or a nihilistic approach, you should fully embrace a level of pragmatic skepticism and apply it to your current belief. Does there really need to be a set meaning to existence for one to enjoy life? (I would argue absolutely not). How is your 'philosophy' affecting your life, and how is it affecting others' lives? It's necessary to scrutinize your thoughts- to question whether or not you are choosing to live your life based solely on a lack of thought, a delusion, something with no logical basis. However, some may take away that I am criticizing ideas that cannot be logically examined; but, I would further emphasize the necessity to examine things with logic first then emotion, and not with a complete lack of emotion altogether. All-in-all, take in to account exactly how you are coming to your conclusions. Live your life with a level of healthy skepticism and inquiry. Don't bend to convenience or fear of judgment. Be rational. Be emotional. Be human. Practice deep thinking- real deep thinking, not some kind of pseudo-questioning of life. Find your own sense of morality, meaning, love, trivial pursuits.

Share and discuss “What is your philosophy?” on social media.