Women's Golf finishes last in New Orleans

The No. 29 ranked women's golf team finished 18th in the Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate after scoring a 27-over 315 in the final round of play Tuesday, Feb. 26.

After shooting a 14-over 302 in the first round of play, the Tigers were unable to improve on day two, finishing last in the tournament.

Originally, the tournament was a 54-hole, three-day match played by 18 teams from across the nation. Hosted by Tulane at the English Turn Golf Club in New Orleans, inclement weather at the tournament resulted in the cancellation of the second round resulting in a 36-hole competition.

Junior Marta Sanz finished tied for 20th individually after carding a 75 during the second round. On the first day of competition Sanz shot an even par 72, placing her in the top-20 of individual competitors. She was able to maintain her top-20 finish Tuesday, leading the Tigers with a 3-over 147.

"Marta had a solid event," said head coach Kim Evans. "She is looking really comfortable on the course and we are excited about the rest of the season for her."

UCLA and No. 1 Southern California tied for first place shooting a 4-over 580, but the Trojans took home the win by a tiebreaker. No. 3 Duke rounded out the top three with a 7-over 583.

In the individual competition, Baylor's Haley Davis finished first with a 4-under 140. For Auburn, Sanz finished tied for 20th, Diana Fernandez tied for 51st (74-79--153), Carlie Yadloczky tied for 74th (76-81--157), Jamie Yun tied for 85th (80-80--160) and Alex Harrell tied for 88th (80-81--161).

The women's golf team looks to continue their season March 8-10 in Hilton Head, S.C., at the Darius Rucker Invitational hosted by the University of South Carolina.

Share and discuss “Women's Golf finishes last in New Orleans” on social media.