First Aubie now representing a different house

Mask is currently the chairman of the House Economic Development and Tourism Committee. (Courtesy of Barry Mask)

Believe it or not, there was a time when the Auburn Family was absent of its most beloved tiger: the popular tail swinging, strut-walking, head bobbing, daredevil mascot who has become a seal of the Auburn spirit.

The idea for a mascot suit came in the year of 1979, as Auburn's SGA began to dream of a putting "flesh" to the idea of Aubie the Tiger.

The student who would eventually win the slot to cheer and dance and sweat in the massive 3/4 inch thick suit was a Phi Kappa Tau from Montgomery: now state representative, Barry Mask.

"It was just sort of a tough time back then," Mask said. "Auburn was again in the shadow of Alabama. We just needed something to spark up some stuff."

Mask said James Lloyd, SGA's spirit director, connected with Dr. Julian Holmes, associate di- rector of the Alumni Association.

The idea for Aubie was essentially an experiment, Mask said.

"And it just took off," Mask said.

Mask began his journey as Aubie the Tiger trying out with a skit he made up to Michael Jackson's 1979 hit, "Working Day and Night," he said.

Mask was the first to wear the striped suit and is credited for setting the tone of the Aubie personality.

"Barry set the bar," said Danny Richards, alumnus of '82 and the 3rd Aubie. "Barry did so many things that we would try and emulate in a lot of the stuff that we did."

Mask said that Lloyd told him that it was up to him to figure out who the mascot would be.

And so from the beginning, Mask decided the fun-loving, fur-covered tiger would have a few signature trademarks: "He's going to be sort of like the Pink Panther...and he's going to be all about the kids, he's going to be a good dancer, and he's going to be a ladies' man," Mask said.

Richards remembers Barry as a risk-taker while in the suit, pioneering ahead with bold moves that would come to brand the mascot's personality.

One such move was leaning up against the goalpost, as was the tradition of Bear Bryant, dressed in a red coat and houndstooth hat.

"There were no rules, there was no handbook, there was no committee, there was just making it up as we went along," Richards said.

Mask laughs as he talks about the advice he would give to the upcoming Aubies.

"Cause I would tell the guys, 'Hey, if you're not pushing the envelope and perhaps getting into a little bit of trouble, you're not being Aubie,'" he said.

Stan McDonald, alumnus of '83 who worked closely with the spirit committee and was a freshman during Mask's year as Aubie, remembers vividly the first day he saw the tiger.

It was a home game against Southern Mississippi, early September, McDonald said.

"And all of a sudden, this hot air balloon- a huge one- shows up, flying over the stadium, and doggone, there's somebody in it," McDonald said. "Everybody's laughing and pointing. And it's this dressed-up tiger."

McDonald said Mask was an exceptional dancer and a natural-born artist, able to improvise while in the spotlight.

"No one can dance like (the first) Aubie did," McDonald said.

McDonald also said he felt Barry as Aubie connected both the younger and older generations to the joy, love and happiness of Auburn. "You know, when the young people saw that tiger, they saw fun, they saw confidence, they saw happiness and joy," McDonald said. "When the older people saw Aubie, they thought of maybe some of their more mischievous days, maybe they thought of what it was like to have that 'not care' attitude, maybe they thought of days when they could dance real good or they were real funny."\0x2028Yet, Mask was more than a good dancer. During his time at Auburn, he was president of the Interfraternity Council and started the Dean Cater Shug Jordan Leukemia Fund.

McDonald remembers his surprise discovering the depth of interest in people, politics and community beneath the gregarious Barry Mask Aubie persona.

"When you saw him on the field, you'd say, 'Now that's a classic cutup, and he probably doesn't have a serious thought,'" McDonald said.

Mask had done SGA in high school and said he always knew he wanted to end up in the political sphere.

"Aubie pulls people together and unites people, and I like to think that's what I try to do, and all the people that's worn the suit, I think feel that same way," Mask said.

While serving as state representative, Mask is currently chairman of the House Economic Development and Tourism Committee, chairman of the Legislative Building Authority, vice chairman of Internal Affairs and member of the House Ways and Means Higher Education subcommittee.

In what little free time he has, he likes to boat or fish on Lake Martin or quail hunt.

He has been a season-ticket holder for 25 years and continues to come to Auburn once a month, he said, to assist in his role as president of the house core of his fraternity, Phi KappaTau.

Share and discuss “First Aubie now representing a different house” on social media.