Letter to the editor: The truth behind foodstamps

The number of people on welfare in Alabama in 2010 was 51,205. This word, "welfare," brings so much to mind, but let's consider some other demographics. The population of Alabama in 2010 was 4,779,736. That means that only 1% of Alabamians were on welfare in 2010. The annual median income in Alabama is $42,934. The federal poverty line in 2009 was $22,050 for a family of four and 17.6% of people in Alabama fell below the poverty level from 2007-2011.

I hear people on campus talk about welfare and the people on welfare, arguing about the injustices of paying for someone else's laziness. Before these arguments can be made, and others like them, we as a student body need to educate ourselves and others on "welfare" and what it means for recipients. I think a lot of students would be surprised.

Welfare has been around in our country since 1935 under Aid to Families with Dependent Children. That program remained in place until welfare reform in 1996. "Welfare," then became Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF). Many would be surprised to know that a family of four in Alabama on TANF, can receive at maximum $245 a month.

Let's look at the five biggest points of TANF. 1. Benefits through TANF can only last for a lifetime maximum of five years and you cannot remain on welfare for more than two consecutive years at a time. 2. In Alabama, to be eligible for TANF, the family must include a child or a pregnant woman. 3. Adults in families receiving cash assistance must work or participate in work related activities for a specified number of hours per week depending on the number of work-eligible adults in the family and the age of children. 4. If a family on TANF has children, those children under age five must be current with childhood immunizations and children age six to eighteen must attend school and parents or caretakers must participate in school conferences.

Many have this notion that those receiving this assistance are just sitting around "living off of welfare." However, this brings us to number 5. Single parents with a child under age 6 must have 20 hours weekly in core work activities. A married teen or teen head of household under age 20 must maintain satisfactory attendance at secondary school or the equivalent, or participate in education related to employment for at least 20 hours weekly. Two-parent families who do not receive subsidized childcare have a requirement of 35 hours per week (total among both parents) with at least 30 hours in core activities. Two-parent families who receive subsidized childcare have a requirement of 55 hours per week with at least 50 hours in core activities.

Now let's look at Food Stamps or the SNAP program. Although not considered "welfare," it is another form of cash assistance that many lump together with "welfare." Let's examine the three biggest points of SNAP. 1. To be eligible for SNAP, a family of four must fall below $1,921 in net income. 2. A family of four participating in program in Alabama cannot receive more than $668 a month. 3. Unless otherwise exempt, each household member must be registered for work. Also, certain food assistance recipients (between the ages of 18-50) who are able bodied and have no dependents are eligible to receive food assistance for only 3 months in a 36 month period if he or she is not working or participating in a work and training program for at least 20 hours a week.

Let's make this hit a little closer to home for us college students. A single person on SNAP receives about $30 a week. For two meals a day, this averages out to $2.14 per meal. Now compare that to how much money you spend on food each week.

Of these programs, a single male can only be qualified for SNAP. While a family of four can qualify for both programs, SNAP can only be used for food, leaving $245 to cover rent, transportation, utilities and other expenses. No matter what side of the fence you are on, living on welfare is not a life of luxury.

We as a student body need to understand the provisions of these programs to better understand fellow students and others who receive these stigmatized benefits. Learn about the different program available to those in poverty and then decide for yourself whether you feel they are beneficial or detrimental to society. But we owe it to ourselves and others to know the facts.

Mollie Lewis

Senior

Social Work

Share and discuss “Letter to the editor: The truth behind foodstamps” on social media.