Ravens' lack of free agent moves provide room for Bynes to progress

Former Tiger Josh Bynes, now linebacker for the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens, signs autographs at Kinnucan's Sunday, March 3. (Andrew Yawn / SPORTS REPORTER)

The Baltimore Ravens lack of inside linebackers may be just what former Auburn middle linebacker Josh Bynes wanted to see.

Granted, players always want to see their teams do well in free agency, and the Ravens' losses may hinder their chances of even getting back to the playoffs let alone the Super Bowl, however, one day into free agency, it looks like Bynes may have cemented his starting role in Baltimore.

Seventeen-year veteran Ray Lewis retired after winning his second Super Bowl in February, and the Ravens lost starting inside linebacker Dannell Ellerbee to the Dolphins on the first day of free agency.

With those two losses, Baltimore has two inside linebackers on their depth chart at the moment: Brendon Ayanbadejo and Bynes.

Obviously the Ravens will have to add depth through free agency or the draft, and with depth comes competition.

However, Bynes, who saw starting minutes last season while filling in for injuries, seemed capable as a starter.

In addition, while visiting Auburn in early March, Bynes said he is excited for the opportunity to start for the Super Bowl champions.

"I'm just looking forward to the opportunity to play and start this year," Bynes said while signing autographs in Auburn on March 3. "Whatever happens is going to happen, and I'm just going to take this opportunity and go with it."

Bynes also said that he is expecting his third year in the league to be his best yet.

A starter on Auburn's 2010 national championship team, Bynes has worked his way up from being an undrafted free agent to contributor for the league's best team.

The Ravens are sure to bring in linebacker help with the loss of outside linebacker Paul Kruger and inside linebackers Dannell Ellerbee and Ray Lewis.

Even with the influx of new talent, however, Ayanbadejo and Bynes' starting jobs are theirs to lose.

Share and discuss “Ravens' lack of free agent moves provide room for Bynes to progress” on social media.