The heart and sole of spring

(Emily Brett / FREELANCE GRAPHIC ARTIST)

Good shoes take you good places. That’s easy. Picking out that good shoe is not so much. Too often a trip to the shoe department can be daunting and terrifying. The shoe racks tower over you threateningly and the price tags can be even ruder.
But this spring is different. Fashion Week welcomed all patterns, colors, prints and materials, taking a no holds barred approach to spring footwear. Here are some of the latest trends in feet fashion.
The Wedge - The spring season staple is easily the wedge. And thank God for it. The support offered by a wedge is unmatched in the shoe department. This heel saves you from the stiletto-induced embarrassment of a Bambi inspired “catwalk” down Magnolia.
The wedge doesn’t need to reinvent itself to renew its lease in your closet. Its basic structure stays the same, but this season it’s debuting new fabrics and bases for the heel. The espadrille is returning and bringing with it wooden wedges and wedges hidden in the same fabric as the top to create a seamless, tailored look.
The Flat - First it was blazers, then the boyfriend jean and now our feet want in on this androgynous trend. Further proving just how cyclical fashion is (everyone has a picture of themselves running around in their father's oversized loafers), this spring flat is the loafer. Loafers blend a masculine structure with feminine patterns and have quickly become this year’s favorite trend in flats.
Swap out your ballet flats for the strong meets-comfortable shoe and save yourself from a night of toe pinching pumps followed by a morning of bandages and reshaping your foot. This look is versatile and can be dressed up for the office, dressed down for the day or paired with a dress for a night out.
The Sandal - Gone are the gaudy gladiators that took forever to strap into and created some of the world’s worst tan lines. Seriously, by September my feet had an unintentional zebra henna tattoo that started at my feet and ended mid-calf. It’s been seasons in the making, but finally the sandal is taking a simple, minimalist approach. This season, pick up simple structures with bold colors for your sandal collection.
The Sneaker - This spring sneakers are stealing the spotlight with mismatched neons and even brighter patterns. Sneakers are mixing loud prints with metallic colors on unusual models. Stores are stocked with pastels, all white, patterned, striped and usually a combination of the aforementioned styles.
The plethora of options makes the sneaker my favorite piece this spring because you can’t go wrong. And don’t ya just hate being wrong?

Share and discuss “The heart and sole of spring” on social media.