Auburn defensive end selected for Bednarik watch list

Auburn senior defensive end Dee Ford was one of the 75 college football players listed on the 2013 preseason watch list for the Chuck Bednarik Award announced Monday, July 8.
The Bednarik Award is given annually to the nation's best defensive player. First awarded in 1995, the honor is named after former Penn State and Philadelphia Eagles star Chuck Bednarik, a college and NFL Hall of Fame member.
"I'm very surprised to hear that I'm on the Bednarik Award list. This just makes me want to solidify my qualifications and work even harder to show that Auburn should be represented on this list," Ford said in a press release.
The 6-foot-2, 238-pound Ford has recorded 64 career tackles, 13 tackles for a loss and 13 sacks in his three years at Auburn. As a team leader and returning starter, Ford has also earned recognition as a fourth team preseason all-SEC nominee.
"It's been a long journey for me, and I owe any success to my strength coaches, football coaches and teammates for being patient with me while I developed," Ford said. "I'm very thankful for this new responsibility and the opportunity we have this season."
The Maxwell Football Club selection committee will announce semifinalists for the award Oct. 29.

Share and discuss “Auburn defensive end selected for Bednarik watch list” on social media.