Malzahn inducted to the hall of fame

Updated with additional comments.

Gus Malzahn's prolific high school coaching career will be honored as he is inducted into the Arkansas High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame Friday, July 12, in Hot Springs, Ark.
Malzahn coached high school in Arkansas for three different schools from 1992- 2005 with a career 133-26 record, but his success at Springdale High School earned him the induction.
"Coach Malzahn was nominated because of his success in the state of Arkansas in high school football and the effect he still has on the sport in this state," said Don Brodell, Associate executive Director of the Arkansas Activities Association.
Beginning in 2001, Malzahn coached the Bulldogs for four years going to the state championship twice and winning in 2005. The 2005 Springdale team is considered to be one of the greatest high school teams in Arkansas history.
Led by quarterback Mitch Mustain, the eventual USA Today National Player of the Year, the Bulldogs averaged nearly 50 points per game and won by 39 points per game en route to their state title. Both Malzahn and Mustain went to the University of Arkansas following the 2005 season.
Prior to his tenure at Springdale, Malzahn created one of the most forceful and respected offenses in the county at Shiloh Christian School, scoring a national record 66 passing touchdowns in 1998. He led the Saints to back-to-back state titles in 1998 and 1999 before taking over as head coach at Springdale.
"Coach Malzahn's offense is hard to defend because of misdirection and the pace," said Ryan White, senior defensive back for Auburn. "You have to pay attention to your keys, one slip up and it's six points on the board."
Malzahn's passing scheme was nearly impossible to defend in a state where most schools ran a run-first offense. Defenses scrambled with the fast-paced hurry-up Malzahn implemented and it drew attention from across the state and beyond.
To show how innovative Malzahn's offense is, Chad Morris, a high school coach, learned the dynamics of Malzahn's scheme. the western Texas high school won back-to-back state titles and now Morris can be seen on Saturdays, coaching Clemson's successful offense as its coordinator.
Growing up in Fort Smith, Ark., led Malzahn to a career of football beginning at Fort Smith Christian High School. After graduation Malzahn walked on as a wide receiver at the university of Arkansas in 1984 before transferring to Auburn coach Gus Malzahn. Henderson State, where he became a two-year letterman.
"Coach (Malzahn) is a lead by example guy. He starts with the little things because he knows they control the big things," White said.
The Arkansas Activities Association that oversees all high school sports is the organization behind Malzahn's induction.
"The coaches are nominated by a Hall of Fame committee and voted on by members and current high school coaches," Brodell said.
The Arkansas Activities Association and the Hall of Fame will be inducting five other coaches along with Malzahn at a ceremony Friday, July 12, in Hot Springs.

Share and discuss “Malzahn inducted to the hall of fame” on social media.