Tigers land five recruits during last camp

It was a busy week for football recruiting with the Tigers hosting more than 500 recruits for the final summer camp of the year, gaining five commitments from top prospects around the nation.

"As long as I've been a Tiger Host it was the biggest camp we've done as far as numbers and responsibility," Tiger Host Wilson Collier said.

One of the weekend's top commitments came from four-star JUCO wide receiver D'Haquille Williams from Gulf Coast Community College in Mississippi.

At 6-foot-3 with a 40-yard-dash time of 4.4 seconds, Williams will be a threat to any defense. In his first season at Gulf Coast C.C. he recorded 1,295 yards receiving with 17 touchdowns.

The combination of size and speed makes Williams a great fit at outside receiver in Gus Malzahn's offense. He is expected to leave Gulf Coast C.C. and enroll at Auburn for the spring semester in January.

Co-offensive coordinator Dameyune Craig, who was just ranked No. 1 in 24/7Sports' recruiter rankings, primarily recruited Williams.

"A lot of people compare [Craig] to Trooper Taylor, but I don't think he's like him at all," Collier said. "He gets very personal with players, he's the father figure. When parents send their kids off to college you want someone to look after them and that's the guy he tries to be. The players can talk to him about anything."

Auburn's second wide receiver commitment of the weekend was three-star Monroe, Ga. athlete Stanton Truitt.

The dynamic athlete accumulated nearly 2,400 yards and 28 touchdowns in his junior season at Monroe Area High School at the quarterback position, but has decided to play receiver in college.

"Auburn desires and targeted specific athletes that are capable of making plays in open space, and Truitt may just be at the top of that list," said Justin Hokanson, AuburnSports.com recruiting expert.

The no-huddle spread offense run by Malzahn thrives off of players with athletic skills like Truitt.

The nation's No. 1 ranked center Joshua Casher decided to reopen his recruitment on Monday when he informed Auburn coaches he was no longer committed to the Tigers.

The 6-foot-1, 300-pound offensive lineman attends St. Paul's High School in Mobile and is ranked as the Rivals.com No. 106 player in the nation, but the No. 1 overall center.

The Auburn staff began evaluating West Forsyth High School (Ga.) center Andrew Marshall during the camp and now that Casher has de-committed, Marshall could receive an offer from the Tigers in the near future.

Three-star quarterback Sean White also committed to the Tigers during the week, adding even more depth to the already crowded position. White recently won the Elite 11 quarterback challenge.

White will join the 2014 class with newly committed defensive end Raashed Kennion and defensive tackle Devaroe Lawrence.

"It's all on the coaches," Collier said. "They've been building these relationships for a long time. As you can see from last year, if they can do anything it's closing the deal."

Share and discuss “Tigers land five recruits during last camp” on social media.