Toomer's Coffee Company has changes brewing

Toomer's Coffee Company is currently located at 1100 S. College St. in the University Village shopping center.

Joe, java, brew... whatever you call it, coffee is a staple in any college student's diet.

All nighters, 8 a.m. classes and long nights out on the town all usually require a cup of freshly brewed coffee to make it through the day.

For Bert and Gay Lynn Schulingkamp and Toni and Todd Holt, the new owners of Toomer's Coffee Company, coffee isn't just a drink, but their new adventure.

The two couples recently purchased the retail side of Toomer's Coffee Company, located on South College Street.

Toomer's Coffee Company originated as a coffee-roasting endeavor by Sandy and Trish Toomer in downtown Opelika. The store moved to its current location at 1100 S. College St. in 2004, and has provided a java-sipping study spot for students ever since.

The Toomers said they decided to retain ownership of Toomer's Coffee Roasters and will continue roasting their own beans, sold in-store at Toomer's Coffee Company.

The two couples, both from New Orleans, met through a mutual friend after the Schulingkamps relocated to Auburn after Hurricane Katrina.

When the opportunity came to partner together and purchase the store in spring 2013, they said it felt like the right time to jump on the chance.

"We had a passion and a vision over the years to find the right, retail type of business to operate," Todd Holt said.

He said it had been a process to find the right business, the right foundation to invest in.
They finally decided on Toomer's Coffee Company because of its stable foundation and reputation in the community.

In a world of commercial coffee chains, the local shop offers a fresh and more personal approach to a cup of coffee.

"All our beans are freshly roasted when we get them," Gay Lynn Schulingkamp said. "By the time I've put them on the bar, and I'm using the beans for drinks, they're just days old roasted. People who are coffee connoisseurs know the difference."

The owners said the fresh practices of Toomer's Coffee Company have paid off, and the store is launching a second location in the Moore's Mill area this fall.

"We're hoping to be open by mid-October," Gay Lynn Schulingkamp said.

Additional locations are also in the works.

Todd Holt said plans to improve efficiency will be implemented in the new store.

"In the new store, we want to advance technology, whether it's the POS system, how we take orders from customers, or (how we) deliver the product to the customer," Todd Holt said. "You'll see more outlets for plugging in iPhones and tablets."

The Moore's Mill location will also feature a drive-thru.

Many students already find solace to study or socialize at the current South College location.
Jessi Riel, senior in early education, said she loved the atmosphere.

"It's quiet and nice if I'm looking for a place out," Riel said. "It's a really great place to go and talk."

The new owners said one of their goals is to continue fostering the cozy atmosphere and community that has been a part of the store since the beginning.

"We want people to walk in the door and feel comfortable," Gay Lynn Schulingkamp said. "We want it to feel inviting and feel like you're walking into someone's living room."

Bert Schulingkamp said he stressed the importance of being involved in the Auburn area.
"Our focus is to service the local community," Bert Schulingkamp said.

He also said Toomer's Coffee Company aims to be a "local company" and a "local mark" in Auburn.

"We just want [Toomer's Coffee Company] to grow and thrive," Toni Holt said. "It's important for people to relax and take time for themselves. It's a place they can come to just relax and chill."

For more information about Toomer's Coffee, visit ToomersCoffeeShops.com.

Share and discuss “Toomer's Coffee Company has changes brewing” on social media.