Experiment with shopping and food at Downtown Opelika's First Fridays

It's that time of month again; it's First Fridays in downtown Opelika.
On the first Friday of every month, shops in downtown Opelika use the motto "shop late, eat local."
"First Fridays is the only opportunity to shop late in downtown Opelika in our retail stores," said Pam Powers-Smith, director of Opelika Main Street. "So our retail stores are open until at least 8 p.m., some of them are open a little bit later."
This year marks the third year Opelika Main Street has done the event. First Fridays takes place on Railroad Avenue, 8th and 9th Street, an area Powers-Smith refers to as the horseshoe of Opelika.
"The other component of First Fridays is live music on the street corners," Powers-Smith said. "So as you are walking around or eating out on the patio, you can hear music."
This month, there were three bands located throughout the downtown area. Pomeranian Muffler Shop was set up on Railroad Avenue, and Kristen Morgan was on 8th Street.
Powers-Smith said First Fridays is simply music and late night shopping.
September and October's First Fridays are in conjunction with Auburn Athletics and are promoted as Football First Fridays. October's First Friday is the weekend of the Ole Miss game.
"Usually we see people run into people they know and that's always fun in downtown Opelika," Powers-Smith said. "You get to see old friends on the street and then you hang out or get a drink or visit one of our dessert shops or something like that."
Powers-Smith said walking around downtown Opelika is a great option for those who do not want to shop. She said the pedestrian walkways make strolling a safe option in downtown.
"I would try to communicate to people that the atmosphere is just great," Powers-Smith said. "We have our own little feel here in Opelika, we have great restaurants. And now we have plenty of restaurants for people to eat at."
Not every store stays open late, but this month Southern Crossing, Coveted Closet, Fringe, The Curious Fox Co., The Cheesecake Cottage, Heritage Gifts and Gourmet, TLC Gift Shop, Taylor Made Design and The Gallery on Railroad welcomed visitors.
"Ours is different than just staying open and shopping because we try to make it feel like an open house party, especially football season and pre-Christmas shopping," said Amy Bertocci, gallery manager of The Gallery on Railroad. "We will really be bringing out all of the gift items that we are getting in from market and just having a good time."
The Gallery on Railroad played music, offered cranberry sangria and refreshments to patrons. The Gallery sells gourmet foods as well as framing and shared samples of the food.
Bertocci said her favorite part of First Fridays is setting out silver trays and making hors d'oeuvres look fun instead of just putting out potato chips for people.
"I think it's also an opportunity for people to experiment and maybe try a restaurant they have never tried before," Powers-Smith said. "It's just a fun night out, casual."

Share and discuss “Experiment with shopping and food at Downtown Opelika's First Fridays” on social media.