'On The Verge' takes meandering journey with lengthy linguistics

Franny (Daley Browning), Alex (Anna Caudle) and Mary (Anna Claire Walker) make their way through Terra Incognita and time.

Pack your bags, hike up your petticoats, strap on your pith helmet and prepare for a linguistic roller coaster with Auburn Theatre Department's production of Eric Overmyer's "On The Verge."
Within the space of an hour and a half, the time-traveling trio of Mary Baltimore (Anna Claire Walker), Fanny Cranberry (Daley Browning) and Alexandra Cafuffle (Anna Caudle) cross not only the lands of Terra Incognita, the unexplored land they've happened upon, but decades of time.
Before the show even began, it was obvious Auburn's set department delivered a masterpiece once again.
The proscenium arch soared above the stage in the form of a well-worn map.
Panels in the wings and the floor of the apron were illuminated to mimic the map.
Projector screens slanted at the back of the stage provided an easy visual to indicate transition as the actresses moved from one decade to the next.
Rotating mirrors were used to reflect the projections and also served to symbolize, as they are turned, the moving of the characters on their journey through the jungle.
Act 1 began in the year 1888, and as the audience was introduced to the three ladies, they were also introduced to the elegant language of the day.
A major theme of the play was the evolution and use of language, and each of the three actresses use their extensive vocabulary to portray their character.
Caudle's portrayal of Alex was hilarious from the get-go. Caudle gave Alex spunk and wit that resonated with the audience; her character elicited the most laughs.
Walker delivered Mary Baltimore's dainty diction delightfully and gave a poignant glimpse into Mary's inner conflict between her wanderlust and society-dictated restraint.
Browning played stuffy, conservative Fanny strictly in the first half, but let her guard down in the second act to show the audience Fanny's unlaced, wild side.
Much like the women, the first act wandered, meandered and trudged through bogs of lofty linguistics, bizarre character encounters and confusion over the nature of Terra Incognita.
Multiple times I found my attention waning as lengthy monologues were delivered and fancy phrases were thrown about.
The delivery was without stumbling or flaws from any of the three actresses, but I found myself trying to catch my breath after some of the speeches given.
Act 2, however, picked up the pace and jetted the women and the audience into the 1950s, where some of the more interesting characters dwelt.
The discovery of Cool Whip, rock 'n' roll, Burma Shave and Jacuzzis by the three women was amusing and led to some hilarious mix-ups (Cool Whip or Noxzema? The women aren't quite sure).
My favorite scene occurred halfway through the second act when suddenly, an array of items from the 1930s-50s dangled from the sky, and the women arrived at some curious conclusions as to what the items were (Dinglehopper, anyone?).
Throughout the play, Mary, Alex and Fanny run into eight different characters from different decades.
Typically, when Overmyer's work is performed, all eight people are played by one man.
In Auburn's rendition, however, the roles were split; Blake Willoughby played Grover and the Yeti, and Jordan Lunstead played Alphonse, Gorge Troll, Mr. Coffee, Madame Gnu, Gus and Nicky.
I think a greater effect would have been achieved had all the roles been played by the same actor.
I believe Overmyer wanted to show that throughout the years, there will always be different people who speak to and mean something to us, but they're cast from the same mold.
Overall, the story was pushed along by the audience's imagination, which I very much enjoyed.
The esoteric language and long-winded speeches were "a bit annoying" in the first act. However, the second act redeemed the first with all its hilarious pop culture references.
"On The Verge" will take you on an intellectual and comical expedition.
Just don't forget to take your machete.

Share and discuss “'On The Verge' takes meandering journey with lengthy linguistics” on social media.