Student passes away after battle with leukemia

Jordan Northington was a junior at Auburn. (Contributed by Kim Northington)

Sickness, illness and weakness are not words friends and family use to remember 20-year-old Jordan Northington's battle against leukemia -- peacefulness, gentleness and constant inspiration are.
Northington, junior in nursing at was first diagnosed with leukemia seven years ago. On Friday, Oct. 18, she passed away after contracting a flu virus her body was unable to fight off.
"She battled with leukemia three times and never gave up," said Kim Northington, Jordan's mother. "She was a fighter, and she had great courage."
Katie Cargo, junior in education and Jordan's sorority sister, said she always used her fight with cancer to serve a higher purpose.
"I loved how she took what was going on in her life and tried to make it into something positive," Cargo said. "She wanted to raise awareness and help other people. I thought it was so inspiring she didn't just wallow in self-pity, but (said instead), 'Yeah I have it and it stinks, but let's raise awareness; let's do something about it.'"
Though her illness may have caused physical suffering, her spirit remained strong throughout her battle against leukemia.
"She was one of the most positive people," said Lexi Loving, junior in nursing and Jordan's sorority sister.
"(Jordan) going through this cancer, you never knew how bad it was because she would always say, 'I'm doing great, always better than the last day,' and [she was] just so positive about it. (She) never wanted anybody to realize how much she pain she was in."
Kim said it was Jordan's resilience and continuous positivity that taught her friends and family about the value of life.
"I think a lot of us learned from her how to live your life to the fullest, and to make the best of things," Kim said. "Through all of Jordan's struggles throughout the years, she never once complained."
Jordan served as a role model to many within her community, especially to the women of Chi Omega sorority, of which she was a valued member. She not only provided the chapter with an example of fortitude, but also played a part in unifying her pledge class, her sorority sisters said.
"If there was one person who everybody knew and everybody loved, it was Jordan," Loving said. "That part was really cool -- to have something that seemed so bad, but she also did a lot of good through her sickness. I don't even think she knows half the stuff she did that was so good just by bringing so many people together."
Though Jordan may have passed away before realizing her impact, those she left behind say they will not let the way Jordan lived go unremembered.
"Everything I do from now on will be for Jordan," Loving said.
"I ran a 10K on the Saturday after she died because I knew she wouldn't have wanted me to stop what I was doing. I ran it with a snotty nose because I had been crying the night before, and with a heavy heart because I wish my friend could have been there with me, but I did it for Jordan."

Share and discuss “Student passes away after battle with leukemia” on social media.