Auburn staying focused as preparation for the Iron Bowl begins

Auburn players gather before the Georgia game. (Jenna Burgess / ASSOCIATE PHOTO EDITOR)

This week's Iron Bowl could possibly be the biggest in the rivalries' history, and the biggest game of the year for the Auburn Tigers.
So, is the team treating this game any differently than any other game.
According to the players and head coach Gus Malzahn, they are not.
"We're trying to stay in our routine," Malzahn said. "We had extra work last week, and we are trying to make this week as normal as possible."
Senior Nosa Eguae said keeping things as normal as possible is the best thing for the team to do.
"Football players are creatures of habit," Eguae said. "We get in a routine and we do that routine. I have a routine and every player has one. We want to stick with what has got us here and not change anything."
While most players say they won't be changing anything for a game with this much at stake, it's hard to not change a little.
"The way we approach it as players, I think, will be a little bit different in terms of bringing a little more intensity," said tight end C.J. Uzomah. "They are the No. 1 team in the nation for a reason. They are a really good team and we'll need to bring our A game."
Staying focused has been a big motto for this team so far this season. With a berth in the SEC Championship Game on the line this week, and still a possibility to play for the national championship, not looking ahead is a challenge the players will have to face this week.
"There's going to be some talk in the locker room, and then we'll have a team meeting and coach Malzahn will put it to rest," Uzomah said. "We can't think like that, because this is a great team we are going to play against, and they are going to bring it."
Malzahn said, blocking out those types of distractions will be key for the players this week.
"We've been very upfront and honest with our team about this game," Malzahn said. "We asked our guys to do exactly what they've been doing by taking it one practice at a time."
Also not adding any unnecessary distractions via social media.
"Coach Malzahn said today pretty much don't post anything," Uzomah said. "He said if you have to think about it then don't post it."
While the players say they are staying focused and treating this game like any other game, there is still an excitement level for the players as they prepare and stay focused.
"It's a big game," Eguae said. "This is everything you dream of playing in as a kid."

Share and discuss “Auburn staying focused as preparation for the Iron Bowl begins” on social media.