Auburn players not concerned with Winston's comments

Florida State's Jameis Winston at BCS Media Day at the Newport Beach Marriot Hotel, Newport Beach, Calif., Saturday, Jan. 4, 2014. (Zach Bland / PHOTOGRAPHER)

Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Jameis Winston is known for being good in front of a camera and always having something to say when a microphone is in front of him.
During Saturday's BCS Championship Media Day session Winston made another splash by commenting on how Auburn is being labeled as a 'team of destiny.'
"Well, I'm glad they call Auburn 'the team of destiny' because at Florida State, we control our own destiny," said Winston. "I mean, that's great. They had some great games beating people in the last 5 minutes, mentally more than physically they stayed in the game. That's one thing they talk about staying to the fourth quarter.
"But at Florida State, we are controlling our destiny and we are trying to do it big. We not looking for miracles to happen. We are looking to play football and do what we do."
While Winston went on to be very complimentary of Auburn, his comments still created a social media buzz.
Comments like this can sometimes help fuel teams by creating bulletin board material for some extra motivation.
"He has his confidence and we have ours," said senior defensive end Nosa Eguae. "More power to him, but we are just looking forward to coming out on Monday night and playing against him."
Linebacker Kris Frost said the team isn't worried about what is done off the field, or what people outside the team have to say.
"To be honest we haven't looked into it," Frost said. "We don't really know anything about that. All we are concerned about is playing Auburn football. That's what we've done all season and that is what's got us here."
Defensive tackle Gabe Wright is more sympathetic with Winston's situation of having everything he says talked about and dissected by media and fans.
"He's a 19-year-old kid, and I couldn't imagine being a Heisman winner and going through the pressures of winning that at his age," Wright said. "I'm 21 and I'm the humblest I've been, but that's because of growth and experience. He's just a redshirt freshman, and I'll respect him as long as he shows the respect back."
Winston will look to help Florida State cap off an undefeated season and a national championship with a victory against Auburn on Monday night in the BCS Championship game at the Rose Bowl.
So far this season Winston has destroyed his competition by throwing for 3,820 yards and 38 touchdowns.
"Yeah, well, the good thing is we've faced some very good quarterbacks in our league this year," said head coach Gus Malzahn. "Obviously he's the Heisman Trophy winner, he can throw it, he can run it. But our big challenge is going to be keeping him off balance."
This season Florida State average margin of victory is more than 47 points per game. Auburn focus will be keeping the game close, and now allowing Winston and he Seminole offense to feel comfortable in the game.
"We feel like if we keep any game close then we are going to win it," Malzahn said.

Share and discuss “Auburn players not concerned with Winston's comments” on social media.