Overlooked defense embraces underdog label for BCS National Championship Game

Dee Ford takes questions Saturday at Auburn's BCS National Championship Game Media Day session.
(Anna Grafton / PHOTO EDITOR)
Dee Ford takes questions Saturday at Auburn's BCS National Championship Game Media Day session. (Anna Grafton / PHOTO EDITOR)

Leading into the BCS National Championship game between No. 1 Florida State and No. 2 Auburn there has been a lot of talk.
Talk about Florida State and Auburn's offenses, Florida State's defense, Auburn running back Tre Mason and Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Jameis Winston.
What has not been talked much about is the Auburn defense.
"It was the same thing in 2010," said senior defensive back Ryan White. "When we played Oregon everyone was talking about the two high-powered offenses and nobody was really giving the defenses a chance. That game turned into a physical battle, and that's what I expect from this game."
Going into Monday's game, Florida State's offense ranks No. 5 in the country in total offense at 529 yards per game, and Auburn ranks No. 11 at 505 yards per game.
Auburn's defense, on the other hand, ranks No. 89 in the country in total defense, giving up more than 400 yards per game. Florida State's defense ranks No. 3 in the country, allowing an average of 268 yards per game.
Many are saying the lack of dominant play from the Auburn defense will be the difference in the game on Monday night.
While Auburn's defense has not shut down any of their opponents this season, but when big defensive plays were needed, the defense came through.
Critics doubting Auburn's defense have only provided motivation for the Tigers.
"It's provided motivation for us all season." said linebacker Kris Frost. "We haven't really got a lot of positive attention this season, but we know that we come up with big plays in big spots and we know that we have a solid defense.
"We've got this far with our defense and we know that we've got a lot on our hands with Jameis (Winston) and his supporting cast, but we are just going to continue to play hard and do what we do."
Redshirt freshman Winston has blown away all the competition he has faced this season. The Hueytown native has thrown 38 touchdown passes for 3,820 yards and only 10 interceptions.
"He's a great quarterback and you can't really compare him to anybody," said defensive end Nosa Equae. "He's kind of a jack of all trades because he does everything good. He may be a freshman, but he plays beyond his years. We know that we have to go out and put pressure on him and play good football against him. If we do that then we'll be successful."
Not many teams have been successful against Florida State so far. The closest game they have played this season was a 48-34 victory against Boston College.
"We know they are going to play well and they are going to make their plays," said defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson. "We've got to get a couple of turnovers and get a couple of big stops at key times if we want to win."
Winston's birthday will be the day of the national championship game, and defensive end Dee Ford is confident he and his fellow defensive players can handle him and the rest of the Florida State offense.
"I have a birthday wish for him," Ford said jokingly. "He's not going to do much celebrating."

Share and discuss “Overlooked defense embraces underdog label for BCS National Championship Game” on social media.