Activist Gloria Steinem speaks at the Extraordinary Women's Lecture series

(Emily Enfinger / PHOTOGRAPHER)
(Emily Enfinger / PHOTOGRAPHER)

Gloria Steinem, renowned national activist, spoke at the Extraordinary Women's Lecture series, Feb. 18, in the Auburn Hotel.
The Women's Leadership Institute and the Women's Studies Program present the Extraordinary Women's Lecture series every year.
Steinem emphasized the importance of eliminating societies' hierarchies and demolishing violence against women.
Steinem hoped listeners would leave feeling inspired to make a change.
"We think change comes from the top and not the bottom," Steinem said. "Change is like a tree. It does come from the bottom."
Susana Morris, associate professor in English, believes there needs to be more events of this kind.
"I think that there is a hunger at Auburn University for this kind of programming, for this kind of scholarship and activism," Morris said.
Eesha Pandit, feminist Auburn resident, has been to the Extraordinary Women Lecture series in the past and has participated in one before.
There was a good turn out, according to Pandit.
"I was really surprised by how many students were in the audience and how many great diverse questions they had," Pandit said. "There was a question about autism. There was a question about movement. There was a question about electoral politics."
Students, such as Julia Meadows, junior in communications, were encouraged by their professors to attend Steinem's lecture.
"I think that we are part of such a conservative campus and I think that it is important for us to realize, not only different view points, but to further establish our own viewpoints," Meadows said. "I think that by hearing people like her, who are revolutionary in the time period of Women's Rights, it can only closer your own view."
Meadows believes there is a special message to take away from Steinem's lecture.
"I think that we're the source of our own empowerment," Meadows said. "We are the beginning of the end to the problems that we are facing. Once we take initiative, we can move forward."

Share and discuss “Activist Gloria Steinem speaks at the Extraordinary Women's Lecture series” on social media.