Editorial: Gogue spares students from statistics

(Emily Brett / GRAPHICS EDITOR)
(Emily Brett / GRAPHICS EDITOR)

It's easy to see when someone isn't being transparent.
Auburn President Jay Gogue gave his second annual State of the University address Thursday, Feb. 20. According to Gogue, the Auburn University Board of Trustees moved to adopt the new five-year Strategic Plan to improve Auburn University last June.
Gogue highlighted in his speech the plan's goal to increase the graduation rate of Auburn students who obtain their degree in six years from 68 percent to 78 percent by 2018.
This statistic doesn't look terrible. However, most students aim to graduate in four years. When Gogue nonchalantly pointed out the six-year graduation rate and not the four-year graduation rate, our ears perked up.
The four-year graduation rate stands at 42 percent, according to the University's Strategic Plan Metrics, which can be found on the University's website. This statistic shatters the perception obtaining a degree in four years as normal, at least at Auburn University.
It's no surprise Gogue decided to cite the six-year graduation rate rather than the four-year graduation rate at the State of the University address. The four-year rate is embarrassingly low.
We cannot call Gogue a liar for not citing the four-year rate, but we can say he was misleading.
Gogue cited better looking statistic, trying to sweep more relevant information under the rug.
Additionally, Gouge referred to the federal government's "six-year method," which is used "when we look at schools." This vague reference is hardly justification to focus on a six-year graduation statistic rather than a four-year statistic.
Students are intent on graduating in four years, so Gogue's references to a six year graduation track lacks relevancy to the student body.
Spending six years at college is not financially realistic for students. With the high cost of tuition, many students lack the income necessary to do this. Tight budgets, loans or strict four-year deadlines from parents' result in students failing to graduate or taking on massive debt.
The current system at times inhibits students from graduating on a four-year track. Changing majors often results in a loss of hours.
As a result, changing majors as early as sophomore year can be enough to set them behind a year in studies, a year students might not be able to afford.
We're not saying Gogue or the University is completely to blame for this cringe-worthy statistic. We commend Gogue and the Board of Trustees for trying to rework the system to help students graduate on time by enacting this five-year plan.
It outlines the obstacles the University faces and the ideas they intend to implement to fix these issues.
However, the plan uses vague language and lacks direct solutions. We want answers, not bureaucratic lingo intended to appease alumni.
For example, point C of the Strategic Plan reads:
Review existing academic policies and develop new ones that will encourage students to complete their degree requirements within a reasonable period of time.
This does not sound like a plan. Much of the Strategic Plan reads similar to a series of observation. A plan requires a solution, and we see none here.
The information made available is not sufficient in convincing us the University can increase the four-year graduation rate. We would like to see more concrete ideas outlined in the University's Strategic Plan on how to reach these goals.
The University knows what to do; we would like to know how they intend to do it.

Share and discuss “Editorial: Gogue spares students from statistics” on social media.