Shop local, shop luxury at The Curious Fox in Opelika

The Curious Fox is as intriguing as its name suggests.
Tucked away in Downtown Opelika, walking into the intimates boutique is like stumbling upon a treasured secret. Hardwood floors creak as you walk in. Artisan jewelry and delicate lingerie are displayed on cream-colored walls like art hung in a museum. The aesthetic is minimalist and inviting. Eucalyptus and spearmint waft from a candle burning on the front desk.
The smiling brunette behind the counter is Saramia Arenas, an Auburn native who studied photography at Savannah College of Art and Design.
"When you think of a woman as a fox, it's a woman that's beautiful, confident, cool," said Arenas, who serves as manager, sales associate and buyer for The Curious Fox.
According to Arenas, intimate apparel plays an important role in boosting women's self-confidence. Taking the time to treat herself and feel attractive can change how a woman feels in and out of the bedroom.
"We aim to provide an experience that makes women feel empowered--a place where women can come to celebrate being a woman," Arenas said.
Pieces by Simone Perele, Mary Green and Montelle Intimates are laid out with simplistic visual merchandising.
The airy hues, handcrafted lace and China silk are presented to the shopper as delicate heirlooms--a far cry from flashy, overtly sexual designs found in major retailers.
"The idea from the beginning was to be the complete opposite," said Phil Moody, owner of The Curious Fox. "I just felt like we didn't want to give any kind of image to the women. I didn't want to project anything to them so they can just come and be whoever they wanted to be."
As a small business, The Curious Fox is a champion for shopping local. From pushing customers to sign up for credit cards to impersonal customer service, Moody explained that retail chains are treating shoppers like numbers.
"We as consumers are getting smarter and we're not falling for that as much," Moody said. "I think they've hit a tipping point where they don't deserve to be around. I think places like this deserve to be around, where knowledgeable staff will come help you and spend time with you."
Moody, a graphic designer from Lafayette, La., transformed the former office space in September 2013. While the boutique was his vision, Moody has handed the reins over to an all-female staff to ensure customer comfort and privacy.
"I want people to think of Saramia when they think of the Fox," Moody said.
In addition to promoting female empowerment and local business, The Curious Fox has a commitment to supporting local artists.
"People don't realize how important art is," Moody said. "Artists tend to be mini profits. They bring trends to the area because they see things and create things and if they're artists who are also business-minded, man, they can really do things."
After carrying Opelika-based artist Kate Manning's line of scarves and knitwear in December, The Curious Fox decided to seek out more homegrown artistic talent.
"We're a store, but we like to think of ourselves as very curated, similar to an art gallery," Arenas said. "We're always on the lookout for something cool and unique."
Arenas pointed out two fox paintings hanging on the wall by R.C. Hagans, an Opelika native. A curtain sewn and decorated by Jane Randall of Opelika's Jane Sweet Jane designates the dressing room area, and Oxford shirts designed by Moody's friends, Jonathan and Holly Powell, hang on a silver rack.
"I like the idea of investing in art and people, so I'll always have a piece of RC in here. I'll always have a piece of Jane. I'll always have a piece of Jonathan and Holly in here," Moody said.
Moody has also invested in the talent of Auburn University student, Ashley Kickliter. The junior in graphic design was recruited to produce editorial photography for The Curious Fox.
Kickliter said she was thrilled to be part of this small business.
"I'm a photographer and I've had a portrait business here since I was 16, but fashion photography is what I really want to do," Kickliter said. "They hired me to a shoot for them with models in their products and gorgeous sleep shirts."
The Curious Fox views their lingerie as an investment, and prices of apparel start at $20.
"Hopefully, the idea is that when people buy a piece, they love it, so it's almost like a piece of art that they've taken home," Moody said.
The Curious Fox also carries handcrafted luxury items from Freedom Soap Company and The Green Bottle Candle Company from Birmingham and artisan jewelry from Red Earth Trading Company.
Open only on weekends, The Curious Fox is located at 711 Avenue in Opelika, Ala.

Share and discuss “Shop local, shop luxury at The Curious Fox in Opelika” on social media.