OPINION: Students balance school and single parenthood

A typical college student's concerns mostly involve having to juggle schoolwork, finances and a social life. For most, it's difficult to imagine what life would be like if a small child was added to the mix.
According to the Institute for Women's Policy Research, in the United States, about 25 percent of college students pursuing higher education have dependent children.
Among these students is Kendal Brooks, sophomore in education, who sees providing for her 2-year-old daughter as motivation for striving toward her degree.
Brooks said while most people take one day at a time, she seems to take each minute at a time.
"It's definitely a full-time job that I'm trying to complete," Brooks said. "It's more than that actually; it's meant for two people. I'm trying my best to make it possible with one."
Times can be tough, as most of her days are filled with working and going to school full-time while meeting the needs of Lilah, her daughter.
Despite her demanding schedule and feeling as though she is missing out on a normal college experience, she prays for strength everyday and sees it all as a learning experience.
"I really appreciate what she does," said Brooks' boyfriend, Tyler Kelly, junior in pre-journalism. "I just try to help out by watching Lilah when I can and try to give Kendal a break."
The need for more time and money can't be expressed enough by the majority of college students.
It goes without saying that single parents who are attending school have to work even harder to manage these, as well as a multitude of other challenges, while caring for a child at the same time.
However, students such as Brooks prove the task isn't impossible, and experts say these students may even be ahead of their peers in some aspects.
"Students who are raising children typically improve their time management and learn to be more well-organized," said Jamie Sailors, Ph. D., director of internships in human development and family studies. "There is much less free time when taking care of a child. The limited time to get things done, such as study, is usually not wasted."
Childcare, baby clothes and baby food are all added expenses for students taking care of small children.
Not to mention, there are no breaks of being a parent.
For students who are single parents, the use of financial aid, coordinating a functional day-to-day schedule and having a caring support system are all factors that can help contribute to earning a degree.
It's not an easy role to take on being both a single parent and a student, but there are those who manage to do it everyday.
"I had to make a choice at a very young age to grow up and take care of another human being," Brooks said. "You are no longer the only one in your life that is depending on you. You give up everything you have for them. It's not something that I've done easily. I've made mistakes, but every day I'm given a chance to show the world that I may have been a statistic when I was 18 and pregnant, but watch me beat it."

Share and discuss “OPINION: Students balance school and single parenthood” on social media.