Softball pulls off wild comeback victory against No. 10 Kentucky

Branndi Malero hits Auburn's first home run of the game against Jacksonville State in the Wilson/DeMarini Classic. (Contributed by Lauren Bernard)

The No. 20 Auburn Tigers softball team defeated the No. 10 Kentucky Wildcats in dramatic fashion in game one of their weekend series Friday.
After a flurry of Kentucky runs, including two home runs in the fifth inning, Kentucky took the Tigers into the bottom of the fourth inning with a 5-0 lead.
The Tigers responded when Jenna Abbot hit in a runner on a bases loaded single. Auburn immediately roared back to tie the game after a single scored a run and two sacrifice hits scored runners.
Auburn ace Lexi Davis kept the Tigers momentum going in the fifth, striking out the side.
Auburn slugger Branndi Melero increased the Auburn lead to 7-5 after a blast to left-center field.
Davis continued to shut the Wildcats down until the seventh inning, when Kentucky hit a solo shot to make the score 7-6.
Closer Marcy Harper came in as relief for Davis after the home run to earn the Tigers' 30th win of the year.
Auburn faces Kentucky for game two of the series against Kentucky tomorrow at 2 p.m. in Lexington.

Share and discuss “Softball pulls off wild comeback victory against No. 10 Kentucky” on social media.