Softball splits doubleheader with No. 10 Kentucky to win series in Lexington

Auburn's Lexi Davis pitches in a game against Purdue. (Contributed by Anthony Hall)

After winning the first game of its weekend series against the No. 10 Kentucky Wildcats, the No. 21 Auburn softball team split a Sunday doubleheader to grab the road series win.
The Tigers took game two over Kentucky 6-4 to win the series, but a lack of offense kept the 31-5-1 Tigers from the sweep in game three.
Jade Rhodes was the difference maker for Auburn in game one of the doubleheader, giving the Tigers a 4-0 lead with a grand slam in the third inning.
Auburn had a 6-0 lead heading into the bottom of the final inning. Kentucky attempted a dramatic comeback, but the Wildcats were only able to score four runs before their final out.
Auburn pitcher Marcy Harper and the Auburn defense kept Kentucky in a deadlock with the Kentucky defense stifling Auburn's bats until Branndi Melero put Auburn ahead hitting Tiffany Howard in for the score to take a 1-0 lead.
The Wildcats ended Harper's shutout bid in the sixth inning, after Kentucky loaded the bases and took a 2-1 lead.
Auburn loaded the bases in the top of the seventh, but Jade Rhodes popped up with two outs to end the game.
The series win is the first road series win over a Top-10 ranked team in Auburn softball history.
The Tigers next face the No. 4 Florida Gators in a three-game series in Gainesville on April 4-6.

Share and discuss “Softball splits doubleheader with No. 10 Kentucky to win series in Lexington” on social media.