The Auburn Circle holds Snaps event

The Auburn Circle, Auburn University's literary magazine, is set to hold its biannual launch party this week. Editor-in-chief Shelby Rice said she wanted to have an event to promote the magazine after experiencing years in which the magazine struggled to distribute its content.
"I sat down with my PR team, and they came up with the idea of having an event to honor the people who had been published in the magazine," Rice said.
Snaps became an event for artists, poets and other talented students to showcase their work.
"Each semester, we host an artist expo where we display all the visual art and read selected poems and stories that were published in the magazine that semester," Rice said.
The event started fall 2012 after Rice wanted to change the way the magazine was promoted and distributed.
"As we worked through the details, it became what it is today: a party that celebrates the magazine and its readers," Rice said.
The event is Tuesday, April 22, at 7 p.m. in the Student Center Room 2222. Snaps gives Auburn students a taste of what types of content can be found in the literary magazine.
"[You can] hear some live music, listen to poetry and look at artwork," Rice said.
Since the first Snaps event, Rice has seen the launch party gain more popularity over the years.
"We have had an average turn out of one hundred people," Rice said.
Michelle Roberts, a junior with a double major in anthropology and political science, has the privilege of having her photo published for the front cover of the magazine as well as having other photos published throughout the magazine.
"It was exciting to know my photo was on the cover," Roberts said.
Roberts had never submitted work to the magazine before, but is said she is excited to see what Auburn students think of her pictures.
"It's a really cool way to show your work to the campus because a lot of people do see it and to showcase my pictures."
Roberts also said she likes all of her photos, but the one she likes the most is named "Chestnut Smoke."
"It's my favorite because of all the people in the photo," Roberts said. "It was taken when I was studying abroad and it was a scene in Spain. It had personality and felt real."
Robert's photos and many other works of art and literature from aspiring Auburn students are featured in the magazine each semester. Rice offered her opinion on this semester's magazine.
"The upcoming issue of The Auburn Circle is probably my favorite issue from my time as editor-in-chief," Rice said. "This issue has so much to offer: it has a lot of great poetry, some amazing photographs and artworks, and several interesting stories. There's really something for everyone to enjoy."
The Snaps launch party aims to attract students to come out, hear and see the work of fellow students and promote the upcoming issue of The Auburn Circle magazine.
"It is a great evening of artistry that we encourage everyone to attend."

Share and discuss “The Auburn Circle holds Snaps event” on social media.