A father and son's bond led them on a "kwest"

Jeff and Kody define their efforts with the motto: "Life's A Quest, Stay Fit." (Contributed by Jeff Coggin)

This Father's Day, Kody Coggin, junior in industrial and systems engineering, and Lt. Col. Jeff Coggin, retired Air Force, entered the woods to share their love of mountain biking, the first of many adventure sports they started together to launch their project, FitKwest.
Funded by Jeff's global consulting firm, Coggin Operations Group, FitKwest is an original online adventure sports series and motivational YouTube channel.
The duo is building their brand by creating t-shirts with their logo and branching out to different adventure sports, such as snowboarding, backpacking, surfing and wakeboarding.
Jeff and Kody said they founded FitKwest to apply their hobbies in a meaningful way.
"FitKwest was formed from the base of father and son bonding," Kody said. "My dad and I wanted to spend time together and look for something to do. I was influenced by my passion for sports. I love going outside and experiencing nature, and we want to inspire people to enjoy the outdoors."
According to Jeff, the FitKwest brand name was the combined pronunciation of the word quest, the first letter of Kody's name and defining the pursuit of mind, body and spirit.
"If it does turn into something that produces revenue or profit, it's not going to feel like work because it is something we love doing," Jeff said. "I let Kody drive this and determine how fast this (project) goes."
Jeff and Kody defined their efforts with the motto: "Life's A Quest, Stay Fit."
Their work is showcased through their FitKwest YouTube channel, which provides mountain-biking tutorials, reviews and footage.
Kody does the majority of filming and biking at Chewacla State Park's trails, as well as competing at local races.
However, Jeff and Kody have traveled to Coldwater Mountain in Anniston and Oak Mountain in Birmingham to conquer a different set of trails.
"The most fun part about all of this is spending time with each other, being able to do things that we love, share our passions and live life to the fullest," Kody said.
Kody believes the hardest part about dedicating yourself to a sport is just starting.
"You do have to have a little bit of money to begin something like this, but we started out on just regular bikes," said Kay Coggin, mother of Kody and wife of Jeff.
Kay edits the videos and controls the finances for FitKwest.
"If you want to start and have a beat-up old bike, that's how we started and then save your money to get a better brand or better bike," Kay said.
For as long as FitKwest is successful, the group said they will travel, bike, surf, embrace new adventures, and keep its family-oriented values forever.
"A father and son relationship is forever," Jeff Coggin said. "As Kody has grown, I've looked forward to the relationship that we, as men, share together. When we're on the trail, he's teaching me as much as I have ever mentored him. I see him as a peer, a friend and someone who is going to help me grow as a man."

Share and discuss “A father and son's bond led them on a "kwest"” on social media.