Brunell takes home Miss Alabama crown

Caitlin Brunell receives the title of Miss Alabama 2014. (photo via al.com)

Caitlin Brunell, Miss Leeds Area, won the 2014 Miss Alabama Pageant Saturday night at Samford University's Wright Center.
Brunell, a graduate of the University of Alabama with a degree in dance, was one of 47 women, eight of whom attend Auburn University, who vied for the crown.
As Miss Alabama, Brunell will receive a $10,000 cash scholarship, in addition to any in-kind scholarships for which she may qualify.
According to Frank Kanelos, historian and public relations manager for the pageant, in-kind scholarships, those that individual colleges in the state make available to the contestants, totaled more than $4.9 million this year.
The main benefit to Miss Alabama participants is the scholarship money available, a piece of which every contestant takes home, even if they do not win or place in the competition.
Cash scholarships, raised through the Miss Alabama Golf Classic, the Miss Alabama's Outstanding Teen program, the Rising Star program and Miss Alabama fashion show, totaled $95,000 for 2014.
The pageant is comprised of five parts - interview, swimsuit, talent, evening gown and on-stage question. All 47 contestants competed in those events during preliminaries earlier in the week.
During finals, the top 10 contestants participated in swimsuit, talent and evening gown.
Mi'a Callens, a junior studying radio, television and film, was the only Auburn student to make the top 10.
Callens, Miss Jefferson County, will receive a $1,000 scholarship for being a semi-finalist.
The top five contestants competed in the on-stage question during the finals.
Kanelos says that, in addition to the scholarship money, contestants benefit from the Miss Alabama pageant when they learn and use interview skills and showcase their talent in front of hundreds of people, not to mention the five judges tasked with selecting each year's queen.
According to Miss Auburn University scholarship program director Katie Willoughby, a sophomore studying communication disorders, this program gives girls once-in-a-lifetime experiences and lessons.
"I would say, as a whole, the Miss America program develops incredibly well-rounded, driven women," Willoughby said. "Regardless of their scholarship winnings, being a participant is a credential or benefit of itself."
Contestants learn public speaking skills, show work ethic toward health and their bodies and learn appreciation of the arts.
"I see pageants as a positive mainly because they are a positive influence on the participants' lives," Willoughby said.
The young women make life-long friends during the two weeks they rehearse for Miss Alabama and also participate in community service projects, called platforms.
Each contestant has a platform, as well as the national platform of Miss America - Children's Miracle Network. This year, the on-stage question during finals was related to the respective platforms of the top five.
Brunell's platform was Caitlin's Closet, originally an organization that provided homecoming and prom dresses for girls that could not afford to attend those events.
Caitlin's Closet, according to Brunell's on-stage response, gives people hope no matter their circumstances, has recently launched a new website and hopes to soon have a phone application to more easily help those in need.
Leading up to the pageant, Kanelos said the ladies not only rehearsed, but had press events at Colonial Brookwood Mall where they also signed autographs, went to Alabama Adventure and ate at Dreamland BBQ, where they had a contest to see who could eat a rib the fastest.
Ann-Marie Riley, who attended the pageant's final night, "had a wonderful time watching so many talented young women ad hearing about their platforms and accomplishments."
Brunell will compete in the Miss America Pageant in Atlantic City, New Jersey, September 9-14.

Share and discuss “Brunell takes home Miss Alabama crown” on social media.