Students and community collect 44,500 pounds of recycleable materials

The Auburn University Waste Reduction and Recycling Department (WRRD), as a part of its work with the East Alabama Recycling Partnership (EARP), successfully recycled more than 44,500 pounds of material at its 11th Electronics Recycling and Confidential Document Destruction Event on March 22.
Auburn's WRRD is a part of the Building Services Department which is housed by the Auburn University Facilities Management.
Auburn University, the city of Auburn, the city of Opelika and the Lee County Recycling Departments make up the EARP and worked together to make the event possible.
Although the City of Auburn recycles independently with its own way of recycling electronics, the EARP unifies the departments with a common goal of keeping materials out of local landfills.
The event began in 2009 and takes place twice a year - once in the spring and fall.
The event has taken place at Saugahatchee Square and lasts approximately four hours.
Individuals bring electronics and confidential papers ready to be recycled and are directed through designated lanes depending on the materials brought.
In March, more than 11 tons of electronics and nine tons of paper were collected and recycled.
Papers are shredded on-site and electronics are gathered and sent to a Responsible Recycling Practices (R2) certified facility where the electronic material is safely recycled following R2 guidelines.
Cardboard boxes and the papers brought in are also collected and recycled at the event, along with ferrous metal and electrical wire.
In addition to the recycling that takes place at the event, participants are also given the option to donate money or food to the East Alabama Food Bank.
According to Joan Hicken, coordinator of Auburn's WWRD, 327 pounds of food and $602 were donated to the food bank during the event in March.
"Our goal is to find an easy and convenient way to recycle for the whole county," Hicken said. "Each event seems to grow with participants and products."
Unlike the county, which charges residents to recycle, this event is completely free of charge.
According to Hicken, the event is set up to recycle electronics and confidential papers in efforts to target specific waste streams and see it does not go to local landfills.
"It is a way to collect materials that we all have instead of putting it in a hole," Hicken said.
Taryn Wilson, senior in accounting who serves as a student employee with Auburn's WRRD, said she loves being outdoors and said she is passionate about recycling.
"It just seems like the right thing to do," Wilson said. "When you go on trails and see trash, it's not natural to the environment."
Wilson worked at the event and said she was impressed by the community participation.
"A lot of people used it who were older," Wilson said. "It was cool to see them bring material over there instead of throwing it in the trash."
As an on-campus resident of the University, Wilson looks at the campus as a home and knows many other students feel the same. Wilson also said she believes students should choose to recycle as a way to keep their home clean.
"It's a really simple change of behavior," Wilson said.
Donald Addison, manager of the WRRD, said he believes recycling is both environmentally and economically healthy.
Addison's respect for recycling did not develop until his time as a student at the University, and it began with his love for the outdoors.
"When I am outside, I like to be in pristine places," Addison said.
Addison said he believes recycling is a necessary practice for any community and loves to see people develop recycling as a habit.
"It's a very rewarding part of my job," Addison said.
Addison is appreciative of the student involvement and volunteers for the event, but always welcomes more.
"I think our student involvement is great in the spring," Addison said.
According to Addison, the spring events receive more student involvement because the WRRD works alongside the BIG Event, a student-run volunteer day designed to get students involved in the community.
However, student participation with the Electronics Recycling and Confidential Document Destruction Event decreases in the fall.
Addison's said his goal is to make it as easy as possible for Auburn students to recycle, rather than sending large amounts of materials to local landfills.
"We want to promote, educate and collect when it comes to recycling at Auburn," Addison said.
Addison is also working with the WRRD to add more recycling bins around campus. His goal is to eventually have a recycling bin with every trashcan on campus in order to make recycling as easy as possible. He encourages students to become aware of the recycling options on campus and recycling opportunities provided by the WRRD.
The next Electronics Recycling and Confidential Document Destruction Event will be held in September. Visit auburn.edu/recycle for more information on Auburn's recycling program.

Share and discuss “Students and community collect 44,500 pounds of recycleable materials” on social media.