Upcoming First Fridays promotes a laid-back atmosphere in Downtown Opelika

(Contributed by Pam Powers-Smith)
(Contributed by Pam Powers-Smith)

First Fridays is an event hosted by Opelika Main Street, a non-profit organization that puts on events in downtown Opelika.
Most of Opelika shuts down relatively early during most of the month. On the first Friday of every month, restaurants, boutiques and other businesses stay open until 8 p.m. or later.
All restaurants remain open and some of the boutiques participating are Coveted Closet, Fringe and The Gallery. First Fridays has been happening on-and-off and picked back up two years ago.
When the event recommenced, administrators made a few slight changes in hopes of bettering each attendee's experience.
These small event changes stem mostly from the town itself changing, according to Opelika Main Street director Pam Powers-Smith.
She explained how many restaurants began popping up and made downtown much more popular and busier overall.
According to Powers-Smith, adjustments needed to be made to allow the upcoming First Fridays to cover a greater area than before.
One of the most significant changes, according to Powers-Smith, is how the live music they offer is presented.
"We used to have a band on First Fridays, but now we have live music on all the corners," Powers-Smith said.
Street performers allow music to be heard no matter where visitors find themselves in downtown Opelika. Past musicians included Joe Moore, Destiny Brown and Chase Brown.
Expanding this portion of the event creates a better experience for visitors because it provides different genres of music within walking distance of each other.
The expansion also allows employees of local businesses to hear the entertainment loud and clear.
Powers-Smith said, generally, most of the people seen walking around outside and enjoying the music are those who have already eaten and are, "[taking] a stroll after dinner or [going] shopping after dinner."
According to Opelika Main Street intern and Auburn student Gwen Baer, the atmosphere in the area changes when First Fridays occur.
"I love how First Fridays turns a town into a community," Baer said.
Baer enjoys the social aspects of this occurrence and becomes excited at the opportunity to meet other locals. Powers-Smith seems to agree.
"It's just a fun evening out, whether you're with your family or on a date. It's a leisurely atmosphere and you can walk around outside," Powers-Smith said. "The laid-back atmosphere is something Opelika Main Street promotes heavily as well as their motto, 'shop late, eat local.'"
Robert Smith, owner of FlipFlopFoto, takes photographs of attendees.
Although working, Smith enjoys the experience as well and notices other First Fridays staff do too.
"It's definitely a really cool atmosphere down here on First Fridays," Smith said. "The live music outside is fun for the merchants, that are open as well, as the customers strolling around."
The next First Fridays event will take place August 1.

Share and discuss “Upcoming First Fridays promotes a laid-back atmosphere in Downtown Opelika” on social media.