New Toomer's trees have officially taken root

Auburn University fans will now be able to honor Toomer's Oaks in two new ways.
A plan to pay tribute to the University's history through sections of the fallen Toomer's Trees has been approved and clones of the trees have been made available for purchase.
Auburn horticulture professor Gary Keever has preserved two sections of the oaks. The sections will be put on display in Samford Hall and the Student Center.
Industrial design students will design the display cases.
Camille Barkley, executive director for marketing and creative services, said she hopes the display will maintain museum quality, while reflecting what Toomer's Trees and the traditions that surround them mean to the people of Auburn.
"One of the things that Dr. Keever has been able to do is, because the oak rings reflect the years of growth, he has been able to really date the trees and figure out the significance of when they were planted," Barkley said.
Keever said he hopes to pinpoint the oak rings and detail dates close to the hearts of Auburn fans.
"For those that were familiar with the celebration with the trees when the trees were alive, I think it will bring back many fond memories," Keever said.
According to Keever, this project will preserve history.
"If we don't have some physical display of these trees, then the next generation will not remember how special they were to Auburn University," Keever said. "I want future generations to look at these sections in Samford Hall and the Student Center and hopefully see these marks on them and think 'this was 2010 right here.'"
Keever said he wants people to look at the rings and know that is when Auburn won one of its dozen national championships
Whit Strickland, senior in management, said he agreed with Keever.
"I think it's cool to show the history of Auburn and all the memories of the trees," Strickland said.
There is currently no projected date for when the sections will be put on display.
Keever has also been working on growing Toomer's Tree clones. Cuts were taken from shoots on the roots of the trees before they were removed.
The cuttings were planted and divided; some were taken to Mobile, while the rest stayed in Auburn to grow.
Currently, the saplings are available for pick up only. In October, when the weather is colder and more conducive to transfer, the trees will be available for shipping.
More than 2,000 saplings, which now range from about one to three feet, are available for sale at $125 each.
The Toomer's Oak species is better equipped for surviving in warmer temperatures that are further south, Keever advised.
However, Keever said he had heard of a tree of the same species growing well in Huntsville.
Additionally, there are trees that have been grown from acorns as part of the Toomer's Oaks Seedling Program that ran for approximately eight years.
These trees are also available for purchase.
The money raised from the sales will be used to support academic programs in horticulture.
For more information about purchasing a tree, contact Heath Hoffman, horticulture research assistant at 334-844-4660.

Share and discuss “New Toomer's trees have officially taken root” on social media.