'Hedda Gabler' star leaps for Hollywood

As a freshman, Savannah Goldsmith snagged the lead role in the fall production of the literary classic "Hedda Gabler" - her first show with the University. (Raye May l Photo Editor)

From the time she was a little girl, Savannah Goldsmith loved to sing.
She would ride in the car with her mother singing "Amazing Grace," and let the lyrics play across her lips with a smile.
Years later, the lyrics hold a deeper meaning as she sings and acts her heart out on stage.
The words have become an encouragement as Goldsmith, former sophomore in musical theatre, arrived at Auburn and took the theatre department by storm.
As a freshman, she snagged the lead role in the fall production of the literary classic "Hedda Gabler" - her first show with the University.
Goldsmith took her final bow as Hedda Gabler on Friday Oct. 3, and one week later, packed up her dorm room and walked as a student on Auburn's campus for the last time.
Oct. 10 was Goldsmith's last day enrolled as a musical theatre major. With the support of her family, friends and talent agent, she left to pursue her acting career - but not in musical theatre.
"I love theatre and I've done it for many years, but now that I've majored in it, I realize that film acting is where I want to be," Goldsmith said. "I'd also like to record a music album, but being in films is what I'd love to do."
At 19 years old, Goldsmith already has her foot in the door of the film industry.
In the past few years, she was an extra in TV shows such as "Devious Maids" and "Necessary Roughness" and films such as "The Watch," but this summer, her career took a promising step forward.
In June, Goldsmith starred as the female lead in "Cobragator," a horror, sci-fi flick set to air on the Syfy channel in January.
In "Cobragator," Goldsmith plays Aubrey, a member of a punk rock band who goes to a swamp to film a music video and encounters a genetically mutated reptile - the cobragator.
"Reservoir Dogs" star Michael Madsen was also part of the sci-fi action, and worked with Goldsmith throughout the film.
After "Cobragator" was complete, several talent agencies reached out to Goldsmith and asked her to participate in several movies and film projects.
"Once these agencies began contacting me, I figured this would be a good time for me to go to Atlanta for a few years and see what can become of it," Goldsmith explained. "I want to try and build my resume, and see if I can move to L.A. from there."
After "Cobragator," Goldsmith said she really caught the fever to be on screen.
"It was the best experience of my life," Goldsmith said. "I know without a doubt it's what I want to do."
Within the next few weeks, Goldsmith will film commercials to be aired in the tri-state area and audition for roles in many different films.
Goldsmith said she's happy to finally be doing what she loves.
"I've always struggled being happy with myself from a really young age," Goldsmith said. "Acting gives me a way to be somebody else for a little while and not have to think about me and my life. It's a personal escape that gives me the chance to become someone else for a little while."
Goldsmith said her talent agent, Donna Hovey, owner of Rare Quality Models and Talent, has opened many doors for her career and has helped it take off.
Hovey said she only submits Goldsmith's resume, and the actresses' hard work and talent does the rest.
"I expect her to be well on her way to a successful acting career in three years because she works for it," Hovey said. "She has this star quality - this rare talent you just can't teach. After 25 years in the business, you just know it when you see it, and Savannah's got it."
Hovey said she felt Goldsmith's talent when she met her when she was14. Hovey has represented Goldsmith ever since.
"I love Donna because her agency is smaller, and she's very personable," Goldsmith said. "She came on set when I was filming 'Cobragator,' and even talked to the director. The best part is, she shares my Christian faith and understands my morals."
Goldsmith said that, while she'd be part of a non-Christian agency, she plans to hold strong to her conservative beliefs in a liberal industry.
"It's getting harder and harder to keep the bad out," Hovey said. "But even so, there's enough out there that we'll be able to skip the projects that wouldn't work for us, and still make it work."
When Hovey heard her client was dropping out of school, she said she thought it was for the best.
"It will make her more available for auditions, and at this point, that's what matters," Hovey said. "She's going with her gut, and that's what's important. Ultimately, this was Savannah's decision, and because it's in her heart, that's what's going to make it work."
A few days after dropping out, Goldsmith said there's not a doubt in her mind she made the right choice.
"I'm so relieved to be gone," Goldsmith said. "I definitely made the right decision because I'm ready to go head first into my dream."
While many parents would balk at their child dropping out to follow an acting career, Goldsmith's mother, Kelli Hunt, has been nothing but supportive.
"I support her decision 100 percent," Hunt said without pause. "You have to get out there while you're in your prime. You have your whole life to go back to school if you need to. I just want her to get out there and make a go of it."
Like Hovey, Hunt said her daughter has the drive and talent to make a living from her passions of acting and singing.
'Savannah played the Wicked Witch in a fifth grade play called 'The Road to Oz,' and I knew it was her calling ever since," Hunt said. "When she hits the stage, she just becomes someone else, and I know it's what she's meant to do. That's why I want her to be happy and follow her heart."
Like most parents, Hunt said she's proud of the success Goldsmith had with "Hedda Gabler" and "Cobragator," but wants others to know it wasn't easy getting there.
"Savannah doesn't get anything handed to her," Hunt said. "If she is successful, it's because she's earned it. She has natural talent, but she's earned that, too."
Hunt said she hopes her daughter's strong morals and work ethic will be a good influence on the Hollywood scene if Goldsmith is meant to make it that far.
"I'm a mother, so of course I worry," Hunt said. "No matter what, I'm going to be there for her and make sure things are all right, but I've done my part. She's God's child, and she's in his care now."
Hovey said she's confident Goldsmith has the support and talent she needs to make it, and advises those who share her dreams to follow a similar path.
"You just have to go for it," Hovey said. "This is Savannah's gift. You have to find out if this is yours. You have to follow your dreams no matter how crazy or angry it makes your parents. Even if it doesn't work out, at least you'll know."
Goldsmith said she's overjoyed with how far things are looking up for her future.
"I'm so excited about this new chapter in my life," Goldsmith said. "I can't wait to see where it's going to take me. Fame would be great, but as long as I'm happy and doing what I love, that's all I can ask for."

Share and discuss “'Hedda Gabler' star leaps for Hollywood” on social media.