Fitbit bracelets take over the exercise community bit by bit

Fitbit helps track daily activity, exercise, food, sleep and weight. (Raye May | Photo Editor)

Whether it's walking to class or jogging around the block, every bit makes an impact, according to the Fitbit slogan.
Fitbit helps track daily activity, exercise, food, sleep and weight.
The goal of the product is to keep consumers motivated through realizing how small steps make big impacts.
The product comes in various sizes and colors, and buyers have the option to choose between watches, bracelets and belt clips.
Each device syncs wirelessly to phones and computers.
Online, the Fitbit dashboard displays charts and graphs to show progress and people have the option to get competitive through group challenges.
Joe Wise, coordinator of sports and recreation at the University, said he received a pedometer, but the information it provided wasn't accurate.
It was then he decided to invest in a Fitbit.
According to Wise, tracking his steps helped him become more active, while typing in his meals forced him to be aware of his caloric intake.
"A lot of my friends have a Fitbit," Wise said. "I like to compete and through Fitbit you can talk smack, which keeps you motivated and you have a lot of fun."
Fitbit is not one-size-fits-all, according to the company's website.
They are the first in the category of smart fitnesses bands. Fitbit holds the record for being the thinnest, lightest GPS plus heart monitor on the market, according to the website
The device made its debut in 2007 and has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, People Magazine, and USA Today.
According to some Auburn students, the product is becoming increasingly popular on campus.
Taylor McCormick, senior in public relations, said her motivation to stay healthy comes from her desire to feel good about herself and start her days off on the right foot.
McCormick said working out is a great way to build energy and stay active.
She began using Fitbit to track how much she was walking around campus.
"I started working with Camp War Eagle, and then I walk to all my classes, and I really wanted a way to keep track of that," McCormick said. "I love how versatile the Fitbit is. It's waterproof, and I never have to take it off. Plus, the different color bands keep it fun."
McCormick said friend challenges are big motivatiors because it's great to compete with friends and see who can take a few extra steps during the day.
Lauren Butcher, coordinator of personal training at the University, sees people with various fitness bands come to the Recreation Center.
Butcher owns the Fitbit Flex, the standard model, and said she has had a great experience with the product.
Though Butcher said she does not endorse the Fitbit or products like it, she said it is a great tool for anyone looking to keep record of their health.
"If you're the person who is going to use it, then it's great for immediate accountability," Butcher said. "Everyone is different and everyone has something that works for them better than others."

Share and discuss “Fitbit bracelets take over the exercise community bit by bit” on social media.