OPINION: Dealing with the woes of game day price increases

Momma G's is one of my favorite places to hang out with my friends.
The workers are always courteous, it's never too crowded and the music is solid. It also happens to be one of my favorite places to watch football.
I don't have a T.V., so in order to get my football fix when the games aren't in Auburn or I'm working part of the game, I just head to Momma G's for a pint, some good company and maybe some nachos.
However, when I went there during the Texas A&M game, I was rudely awakened from my Momma G's daydream.
I had to work during the first half of the game, so I didn't trek into Jordan-Hare.
I bought a pint at Momma G's, which I found much more preferable to getting lost in the masses of fans.
Unfortunately, on that Saturday, a pint cost $4 and a pitcher was $11.99.
Did I buy the pint? Sure. Was I happy about the 60 percent price increase of the pint? Of course not.
When I went back a couple of days later, the price was back to its usual $2.50.
But that prompted me to ask, "Why raise the prices on game day?"
The answer is pretty obvious: to make money. But isn't there something unethical about raising prices on one day?
I've asked friends and strangers alike, and few of them have noticed the increase.
Personally, I've never noticed an increase until the Texas A&M game.
I've watched away games at Momma G's and not noticed a change in prices.
The fact is, even though my friends and I treat it as a meeting ground, it is not there for us as people. It is there for us as customers.
Restaurants are businesses, whose main goal is to make money. even though people become attached to them.
Game days, with the influx of potential customers into Auburn, are excellent times to hike up prices.
Customers from out-of-town also have no idea if the prices have been raised or not, having no other set point to refer to.
Those of us who frequent the restaurant, however, have the potential to notice the difference.
Is it fair to traveling fans to hike up prices with no warning? Is it fair to consistent customers?
I propose that, when Momma G's plans to raise prices, they issue a warning.
This way, customers can take action as they see fit.
The restaurant will also continue to make a decent profit on crowded weekends -- a profit that is fair to both the customers and the restaurant.
After all, consumers drive restaurants. Restaurants should strive to make their customers happy.
Happy customers have an idea of the prices they will be paying.
And maybe next time I can be prepared to bring enough money for two pints.

Rachel Davis is community writer for The Plainsman. She can be reached at community@theplainsman.com.

Share and discuss “OPINION: Dealing with the woes of game day price increases” on social media.