Owens' uncle inspires him through adversity

Defensive lineman LaDarius Owens, No.10, is handed his degree by Jay Gogue. \0x200B(Raye May | Photo Editor)

LaDarius Owens was coming off the best season of his career at Auburn University. The 6-foot-2, 259-pound defensive end started 12 of 14 games in 2013 and finished with 30 tackles, 2.5 sacks and 11 quarterback hurries, but offseason surgery on a stress fracture in his left foot caused him to miss all of the spring practices.
This led LaDarius to feel like he was being overlooked as a factor heading into his senior season, especially when ESPN analysts didn't talk about his absence from the A-Day scrimmage.
"They didn't say my name," LaDarius said. "They said nothing about me being hurt, missing the spring or anything. During rehab that was on my mind [to] get back and get my name out there. That was the biggest drive for me."
LaDarius said his quest to get back on the football field and return to being one of the best defensive players on the team took another hit when he had additional surgery in June to repair a stress fracture in his right leg he developed because of overcompensating while recovering from the first surgery.
"It was trying," LaDarius said. "To be honest, I just prayed about it, and it really built me. It kept me going."
LaDarius and his family are no strangers to adversity. His uncle, James Owens, was the first African-American scholarship football player in Auburn history when he enrolled in 1969.
James rushed for 225 yards and scored five touchdowns in his career as a fullback, but faced segregation on and off the football field to the point where he said he wished to go home many times.
Each time, he said his mother convinced him to stay, and by the end of his career with the Tigers, James paved the way for African-Americans to play at Auburn.
LaDarius credits his uncle for enabling him to conquer the adversity he has faced in his own playing career, especially during his sophomore season in 2012, when the team went 3-9 and brought in a new coaching staff.
"The 2012 season was the biggest impact he had on me," LaDarius said. "I was frustrated because I wasn't playing a lot and the results of the season. With everything he went through and knowing the courage he had made me keep chopping wood though. When the new coaches came, I just flipped a switch. Whatever came my way, I was going to fight and try to conquer it."
LaDarius responded with his best season in 2013. LaDarius has said he put the injuries behind him and has recorded 16 tackles and a pass deflection this year.
"A lot of times I have had to do a lot of convincing that things are going to be OK," James said. "I'm so glad he has listened and been patient waiting for his time to come."

Share and discuss “Owens' uncle inspires him through adversity” on social media.