Tanner double-double leads Tigers to season-opening win

Tra'Cee Tanner skies for a rebound against Troy. (Raye May / Photo Editor)

Auburn women's basketball opened up their regular season with a 71-54 victory over Troy in the first game of the doubleheader at Auburn Arena with the men's team playing University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee at 9 p.m.
"We knew that if we handled Troy's pressure that we could push in transition and get some easy shots and baskets," Williams-Flournoy said. "A few times we didn't handle the pressure as well as we should've, and that was usually just lazy passes."
Auburn jumped out to the early 5-0 lead in the first two minutes after turning four Troy turnovers into scoring possessions.
The Tigers held the lead for the majority of the first half until Troy went on their own 5-0 run to tie it at 22-22 with 6:33 remaining.
But Auburn ended the first half on a positive note with a 12-0 run to make it 43-29 at halftime.
Troy ended Auburn's consecutive scoring run by opening the second half with a made three-pointer.
But the defense kept the lead secure for Auburn as they continued to force Troy turnovers. This was the 16th game the Tigers have had at least 15 steals under head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy.
"Going against a team that was pushing the ball up the floor and taking quick shots, we had to get back and get matched a lot quicker," Williams-Flournoy said.
Tra'Cee Tanner led all scorers with 16 points and also had 10 rebounds on her way to her fourth career double-double.
"I feel like we definitely followed our game plan tonight," Tanner said. "Us limiting them getting free layups and keeping them off the boards really helped us a lot."
Auburn's next game is at home vs. Grambling State this Monday, Nov. 17 at 6 p.m.

Share and discuss “Tanner double-double leads Tigers to season-opening win” on social media.