SGA approves purchase of golf cart, hears of referendum for dining options

The SGA's Monday, Dec. 1, senate meeting had three new orders of business following a week off for Thanksgiving break.
According to Patrick Michael, senator for the College of Science and Mathematics, the Student Activity Portfolios will have access to a golf cart once the purchase of one is made.
The senate approved a reserve fund request of $14,266 to purchase a golf cart with a bed for loading and unloading items.
"This will be available to all Student Activity Portfolios, being all the people we saw money allocated to through the budget and finance process," Michael said. "That's SGA, UPC, BSU, ISO, student media for whatever reason."
Michael said he wanted to pass the request in time to pair up with the Division of Student Affairs in buying the golf carts.
The Division of Student Affairs is purchasing a passenger golf cart over the winter break for its own purposes.
"The golf cart they are purchasing is a passenger golf cart for touring people around campus or to escort people," Michael said. "This golf cart has to do with loading items and materials on to it, which there has been an expressed need by many SAPs over the last couple of years."
Michael said SAPs used to have a golf cart, but when the golf cart broke down, SGA funds were dry. Therefore, the golf cart could not be maintained.
"Five-plus years ago, we did in fact have a golf cart for SAP use, and it was used very heavily and it broke down and, at the time, there wasn't funding available to replace it," Michael said.
In other news:
* The senate heard from Elizabeth Moody, senator at-large, and Walker Byrd, senator at-large, on a referendum for campus dining options that will take place during the spring SGA elections.
According to Walker and Moody, there will be three on-campus dining options, represented by one person just like the normal SGA elections.
"It's all based on President Powell's initial campaign platform in which he said he wants to give the students a voice pertaining to the new dining options, so we're trying to get these three options to be put on the ballot in the spring elections," Moody said.
The potential dining options have yet to be released.
* The senate recognized Benjamin Andrews.
Andrews has been an SGA graduate adviser for the past two years.

Share and discuss “SGA approves purchase of golf cart, hears of referendum for dining options” on social media.