Auburn to take part in tax holiday for severe weather items

Spring is just around the corner, and in Alabama that means severe weather.
Those looking to prepare for the severe weather season will have their chance during the 2015 Severe Weather Tax holiday the weekend of Feb. 20-22.
Although the state legislature created the tax holiday for severe weather, cities are not required to participate. The Auburn City Council met Jan. 6 and officially exempted select items from the city tax.
The law that created the tax holiday was originally sponsored by Tuscaloosca's state Rep. Bill Poole of District 63 out of a desire to prepare citizens for severe storms, such as the one that struck Tuscaloosa in 2011, according to Speaker Mike Hubbard.
Hubbard said he hopes the holiday will benefit local businesses by increasing revenue.
"The back-to-school program is very similar to this one," Hubbard said. "Some were uncommitted to that program in the beginning, and it's been a huge success, and I expect to see the same benefits with this program."
According to Hubbard, Alabama will benefit from the holiday by helping citizens be prepared for natural disasters.
The program is aimed at items such as self-contained first aid, artificial ice, gas containers, weather radios and other items that may be needed during severe weather events.
Auburn can target severe weather preparation by keeping the focus on these items, according to David Dorton, director of public affairs for the city of Auburn.
"This program is really worth it, and it gives residents a chance to save some money while making sure they are prepared for whatever comes," Dorton said.
The hope is citizens will prepare themselves for anything the weather might bring, and that preparation can not be stressed enough, according to Sen. Tom Whatley.
"What I would say to people is get whatever you think you are going to need: blankets, batteries, flashlights," Whatley said. "Severe weather can come at any time."
Though in its first year, Whatley said he hopes to see the program continue in years to come.
"Tuscaloosa really reminded us of the devastation severe weather can bring," Dorton said. "This is to help residents be as ready as they can."

Share and discuss “Auburn to take part in tax holiday for severe weather items” on social media.