Auburn drops last regular-season dual meet to Florida

false

Alexander Hancock swims in the meet. (Emily Enfinger | Photo Editor)

The Auburn swimming and diving team dropped a close one in its last home dual meet of the regular season Saturday at James E. Martin Aquatic Center.
Strong swimming came from both top-ranked teams, but the Florida Gators defeated Auburn's men (3-4) 158-142. The women's team (6-2-1) fell 152-148.
"I think both teams are pretty balanced and they got their strengths and weaknesses just like we do," said head coach Brett Hawke. "It was a great battle today between two Top-10 teams."
The Tigers were focused on improving from their last meet against Texas, according to Hawke.
The women's side won six events in a heartbreaker.
"It's just another dual meet," said senior Megan Fonteno. "It's important, but at the same time, win or lose, we still have SEC's which is more important. Dual meets are fun, don't get me wrong, but losing does not define who we are as a team."
A disappointing loss in the 400 freestyle relay made the difference between winning and losing for women.
The Gators finished less than a second faster than Auburn's Fonteno, junior Alex Merritt, sophomore Allyx Purcell and freshman Valerie Hull.
"Obviously Florida is a great team and its good to compare yourself to your competitors, but then again it is only a dual meet, and a lot can change between here and SEC's," Fonteno said.
Sara Peterson put her blinders on and swam to first-place in the 200 fly. The senior recorded a season best 1:58.70, Auburn's fastest time of the year in the event.
The women's team also picked up individual wins from Purcell in the 50 free (22.54), sophomore Natasha Lloyd in the 100 breast (1:01.76), junior Annie Lazor in the 200 breast (2:13.93) and sophomore Maddie Martin in the 100 fly (54.18).
Fraser McKean and Joe Patching put the men's team on their backs as the Tigers relay team swept Florida in both races.
McKean led the way with two wins in diving as Auburn took a big lead to start the day.
The senior had a clean performance as McKean set a season best in the men's 1-meter springboard event. Leaving little splash, he recorded a 383.35.
It was a momentum shift for Auburn as Joe Patching found enough speed to get to the wall first in the 100 back. The crowd erupted as the sophomore touched in at 47.84.
Patching came up big for the Tigers once again in the 200 back later in the meet, touching in at 1:43.77.
"He is just a tough racer," Hawke said. "He loves to compete and loves representing Auburn. You know you are always going to get 110 percent from him every time he swims."
Michael Duderstadt stood out on the men's side as well. The senior earned his second-straight win in the 100 breast, clocking a 53.64.
"We were right up against Florida and we are as good as they are," Hawke said. "I think the kids are going to be really encouraged by this."
Auburn closes out its regular season slate Thursday against Missouri in Columbia, Missouri. It will be the first ever dual between Auburn and Missouri on the women's side while the men are 1-0 all-time against their SEC opponent.

Share and discuss “Auburn drops last regular-season dual meet to Florida” on social media.