Community theatre gives college students chance to teach acting

Stage lights set the scene as actors take the stage. Music cues, and the show begins.

The Auburn Area Community Theatre is devoted to bringing popular productions to life, and that takes a lot of people willing to volunteer their time, according to Melanie Brown, children’s program director.

“We love it when the college students get involved,” Brown said. “In the children’s classes, you can see the instant look of awe on their faces when the college kids are teaching.”

Auburn theatre majors have the opportunity to teach alongside instructors, such as Brown in acting classes for children ages 9-12.

Gabriella Anderson, senior in musical theatre, and has been working with the children’s classes for several months.

“It’s great being able to share what I love with kids who might not have experience with acting outside of these classes,” Anderson said.

Anderson said teaching the classes helps further her career by giving her experience.

Teaching to others helps learning, and it’s also a nice way to get away from the busy schedule of classes, according to Anderson.

“We did ‘Hairspray’ not too long ago, and the University students came in to help us,” said Andrea Holliday, artistic director for AACT. “They made it a spectacular show, especially the dance numbers.”

However, there are many other ways for students not involved with the arts to get involved. Directing, lighting, costume and set design, as well as auditioning for upcoming shows, are a few ways Auburn students can get involved with the community, according to Holliday.

Holliday said community theater is a great way to feel at home for those who have theater experience and those who don’t.

“We have a lot of fun here,” Holliday said. “We are just a big family, and it’s easy to participate.”

The theatre works around class schedules, according to Holliday, who said working with Auburn students has been a pleasure because of how well-rounded the student body is.

“Whatever time and talents you have to offer, we’ll love you,” Holliday said.

Share and discuss “Community theatre gives college students chance to teach acting” on social media.