Hold your roll: Two live oak trees to be planted at Toomer's corner Saturday

Landscapers dig holes in preparation for the planting of the new trees. (Emily Enfinger | Photo Editor)

Two 35-foot-tall live oak trees will be planted at Toomer's Corner Saturday, Feb. 14, but the University is asking fans to hold off on rolling until 2016.
Landscapers are scheduled to begin planting the first oak at 7:30 a.m. and the University is inviting the public to attend.
But do not bring the toilet paper.
Mike Clardy, director of University communications, said he hopes Auburn fans will self-police themselves as the trees acclimate to their new environment.
"I know everybody is ready for the tradition to return to the corner, but it's just not time yet," Clardy said. "We have to give the trees a chance."
According to horticulture professor Gary Keever, it's not the act of rolling the trees that is harmful--it is how the toilet paper is removed.
"In the past, they use high powered hoses and blown the toilet paper out," Keever said. "The pressure knocks leaves and small stems off the trees and weakens them."
Keever said the trees need at least two growing seasons until the trees are strong enough.
"We as an Auburn Family have a lot invested in these trees and we want them to be around for generations," Keever said. "If we can be a little patient while the trees are being dug, transported and planted, we are all going to be better off."
In the event that the trees are rolled, work crews will remove toilet paper by hand, according to Ben Burmester, project manager.
"Saturday is a culmination of years of work to bring the trees to the corner so it's an exciting time, but we hope Auburn will respect the work we have put in," Burmester said.
Businesses will open early on Saturday and College Street and Magnolia Avenue will be closed from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Share and discuss “Hold your roll: Two live oak trees to be planted at Toomer's corner Saturday” on social media.