Grant hopes impressive Pro Day silences doubters

Football

Running back Corey Grant entered pro day with a chip on his shoulder.

Unlike seven of his teammates, Grant was not invited to the NFL combine, and said the lack of an invitation motivated him to perform to the best of his abilities Tuesday, March and by most accounts he did.

“I think I had a lot to prove,” Grant said. “I really had to prove that I should have been at the Combine. I didn’t get an invite, but it’s ok. I came out and tried to take advantage of the day."

After posting the highest vertical jump of the day at 37 inches, Grant put up an impressive 22 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press, which Grant said was a personal record.

Then came the 40-yard dashes, giving Grant a chance to show off his best attribute, his blazing speed.

Unofficially, Grant’s second attempt at the run was a 4.28.

“To hit that, that’s pretty good,” Grant said. “I knew I was probably going to hit around 4.2, so I was kind of expecting that, but it’s a good feeling to know that.”

Grant said that his pitch to teams to draft him included agility and looseness.

“Overall I think it was hand skills with the ball,” Grant said. “Also speed and shiftiness, and my hips. I know it was a big question with me with tight hips, but I think I came today and through the L drill and short shuttle, showed that I had worked on that and improved.”

The senior said he’s found two current NFL players to compare himself to.

“Probably (Philadelphia Eagles running back Darren) Sproles or (New York Jets receiver) Percy Harvin,” Grant said. “Because of their body size, their hand skills, and just the way they play the game.”

Grant has been training at D1 Sports in Franklin, Tennessee, but said from here until the draft he’ll be back on the Plains.

“For the next two months I’m going to stay here with (Strength and conditioning coach Ryan Russell) and his staff, and keep training each day until the draft,” Grant said.

In his two years at Auburn, Grant racked up a total of 1,040 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns. The speedster also ranks seventh all-time for the Tigers in career return yard average with 24.48.

Share and discuss “Grant hopes impressive Pro Day silences doubters” on social media.